Chapter 13- The New Me

The wind whips my hair back as I make my way to the barn. Exactly what I need- the wind to cancel out any other thoughts I may have besides the task at hand. After putting on my helmet and securing the bareback pad, Snowflake and I are ready to go. I click my tongue as Snowflake responds, eager to start our adventure.

A full gallop sends us out into the tall grasses of the fields surrounding the house. There aren't many trees out here... except for one close by. I guide Snowflake towards the lone tree.

It is not the most grand tree in the world, with odd limbs sticking out here and there, the top tilted slightly due to its own weight. As it gets closer, I can tell its large trunk indicating old age. Why wasn't this tree cut down like the rest? I urge Snowflake on until we are under the shelter of the leaves.

Hopping off the horse, I look up from the base of the trunk and see a man-made structure, to my surprise. Without a second thought, I tie Snowflake's lead rope around the tree before starting my ascent upwards with the wind whistling through the leaves.

There seem to be wooden dowels sloppily nailed into the side of the trunk, but once I test one out, the dowel tumbles down to the ground, startling the grazing horse. Jeez, this treehouse must be really old, I think to myself as I pull myself up using only the weak-looking branches bending in the wind.

"Oh!" I gasp as one of my footholds cracks away from the trunk, causing me to hang on by only my hands. I'm sure the leaves in my hair and the dirt on my shirt would be quite a sight if I were still surrounded by my old classmates. But I don't exactly care at the moment- the only thing I care about is my life.

Gathering the last ounce of strength I can muster, I swing my body onto a creaking wooden platform surrounded by railings.  After catching my breath, I am able to sit up and observe that a wooden bucket is tied onto a rope pulley that connects to the base of the tree. Whoever built this must have spent a lot of time in it, I marvel while gazing out beyond the branches into the spectacular view of mountains, fields, and a sapphire-blue sky.

I also notice jagged etchings in the weathered wood boards. One figure looks like a woman, the other a man. In the middle of the two, a small boy is smiling. The scene makes me smile- if only my family were that happy.

"Hey."

"Auugghh!" I jump a foot in the air, causing me to tumble towards the edge of the platform. Luckily, muscular arms catch my waist.

I swivel my head around, my heartbeat accelerated to an inhuman speed, only to find Logan with a grumpy expression on his face.

"You scared me! I could have died right then!" I snap at him, pulling myself away from his warm chest. He could be a serial killer, for all I know.

"Well, you didn't," he raises his eyebrows. "And why are you in my treehouse?"

My face turns red. "Uh.. I dunno, I found it?"

"So you decided to climb the tree without asking me first?"

"No! I mean, yes. It's not your tree, I can climb whatever I want to!" I defend, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Did you ever realize what goes up must come down?"

"What?" I follow Logan's eyes, which look towards the base of the tree, where two little ants calmly graze. Wait... those are horses. "Oh."

After about half an hour, with Logan coaching me from down below, I somehow manage to inch my way back down to sweet earth. "Land, I will never forsake you again!!" I cry as I roll in the lush grass.

An awkward moment follows. Logan scratches his head. "Why don't we ride back now, lunch is almost ready."

I nod and mount Snowflake as Logan mounts Brownie. I didn't realize I spent four hours outside. A wild idea rushes into my mind. "Race you!"