Chapter 16- Anna for President?

Within five minutes, the whole school population files into the gymnasium. You guessed it- another boring school assembly.

"Welcome students. Today I have called everyone to recognize the amazing work that I have seen by both educators and students alike," the principal recites into a microphone. "However, there is one major change to our student government system. As you may or may not know, the former student body president has reluctantly resigned from his post due to a prolonged illness and will not be able to attend school for the rest of the year."

A murmer sweeps through the crowd before he continues.

"Because no vice was elected this fall, we will have to choose a new president for our student body to function for the remainder of the school year. Please take this news into consideration, as perhaps you, or a friend, may want to participate in the election."

Students around me begin to talk excitedly with their classmates as the principal clears his throat.

"Silence please. As I was about to say before I was rudely interrupted," He glares at a few individual students in the bleachers, "You may run together with a peer as president and vice-president if you so wish. The candidate forms will be available at the ASB office between all classes and after school this entire week. The elections will be held exactly two weeks from today. Good luck!"

With that, he steps down from the podium and cues for teachers to shoo students to their fifth period classes.

I slam my locker shut after grabbing my AP Chemistry textbook only to crash into a solid wall.

"What-"

"Hey Anna Banana," Logan looks down to meet my eyes while pulling off a decent British accent. "Guess what? You're going to be the next Hollywood star!"

"What, have I won the grand prize on the reality TV show called 'Let's Humiliate Anna?'" I sidestep past him and start making my way through the crowd.

"Not exactly," Logan calls out from behind. "But you'll know soon enough. Why waste my energy now trying to catch you when Amber can just tell you in Chem?"

"Wait, what's going on?" I turn my head back to where Logan's voice is- or was- coming from. And what do you know, magic boy has disappeared.

I quickly walk into fifth period with a big question mark swirling around in my head before sliding into a seat next to Amber and Melissa.

"Okay, what in the world-"

Briiiiiiinnnggg.

"Good afternoon, class, today we will begin with debriefing on Friday's lab...."

I tap my swarovski crystal-embellished pencil on my desk. Why does the world hate me today?

After science, I chased Melissa down the hallway to her locker.

"You mind telling me what's going on here?" I glare at her as she sneakily smiles.

" I have no idea what you're talking about," she sings.

This is when I start to get frustrated. "You tell me right now, or I will-"

"Fine, fine!" She bites her lip anxiously. "Guess who you're looking at? The new vice president!"

I squint at her weirdly. "Oh, congrats then..." It did make sense, her being vice president. She definitely has the confidence.

But why the secrecy?

And if she's vice, who's president?

"Oh, and one other thing," Melissa calls out as the warning bell rings. "You're going to be president!"

And that's when my jaw hits the floor.

"WHAT!" I stand there paralyzed for 2 minutes or at least until the final bell rings.

The student hall monitor creeps up from behind me. "You're late and so in trouble," he smirks, evilly handing me a yellow detention slip.

----------

"You know, this whole 'Let's Suprise Anna' thing is really bad for my health," I point out angrily, shaking my cone at Logan and Melissa.

"Well, so is that," Logan gestures to my triple scoop cone of vanilla, rocky road, and honey lavender ice cream. (A/N: Have you ever tried lavender ice cream? It's my favorite!)

"Just hurry up and finish so we can stop by the craft store," Melissa rolls her eyes. "It closes in 45 minutes."

"Um.. why?" I question after wiping my shirt which I most gracefully dribbled ice cream on.

"I don't want another dramatic breakdown in public. I'll explain in the car," she grabs her purse. "Let's go."

"Aww, but I'm not done," I pout.

"Just bring it with you!"

____________

I scan my bedroom, which has recently been destroyed with multicolored poster paper strewn over my bed, glitter and glue scattered on the floor, and markers everywhere.

"I never agreed to this campaign. The first step to a successful election is willing candidates. So far, our chances of success are about 0. Come on, let's just forget about it, please?" I plead with whom I thought were my friends. Well, obviously not as they don't care about any of my feelings.

"You'll thank us later when you get the popularity you have been craving ever since you stepped off that plane." Logan pops the cap off a marker and starts to write.

Ugh. That traitor knows me too well.

"No, you don't understand. That's who I used to be. Now I'm a nobody. Nobody would ever vote for me, the spoiled rich brat. No. I am so not doing this," I cry as I bury my hands in my once-perfect curls.

Melissa walks over and sits on my bed. "Yes you are," she starts softly. "You are going to do this because we know that you are that confident, likable girl inside. We know that you can make a positive difference to our school, because you are the most amazing girl I have ever met. You can do this, Anna. we believe in you."

At this point, tears are streaming down my face, ruining my mascara. I'm not sure if they are tears of joy or sadness, maybe a combination of both. I get up from the bed and stand over Logan's finished poster.

ANNA FOR PRESIDENT

----------------

A/N:

Thanks so much for waiting for the update! That last part reminded me of the song Reflection from Mulan :)

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Excitement is just around the corner...

UPDATE 8/13/14

I just reached 1K reads! Woohoo!