Life Before Now

It still the same day, but I know we had talked for hours. It seems the night has come at outside, although there's no many difference for us.

" How about you, Sousuke-san? How's your life before retiring? "

She still using that retiring word. Now it's a good chance to explain her throughly that I'm not a good captain whatsoever.

" As you know, I was a captain of devision 5th in my... world. The life before now was boring should I say. Everyone was putting their foolish expectation on me which eventually I exceed every bit of them. "

" Ohh...! That's really great! "

" You think so, Hasu? Well, of course you do, since you haven't hear the full story. "

" The full story? "

" I'm... a traitor. "

When I say that one word, her cheerful voice fall into deep silence. Just like what I expect.

" I betrayed their expectation and turn myself as a bad guy--in their point of view of course. I should have killed them all while I can, but it wouldn't be necessary for further invasion. Afterall, it was fun seeing them trying so hard while keep failing to even touch me. In the end, they couldn't do anything to me. But they did trap me in this prison. "

It took a little bit of time before Hasu reacting to my brief explanation. Maybe that neglected brain of her need more time to process what I said.

" You're... a traitor... and in prison? "
She asked with her trembling voice that I can feel scratching my skin. It's been so long since I heard this voice.

" Yes. I told you right? I'm neither warrior nor anyone who do good deeds. "

She fell into silence once again.

Finally she shut her mouth from disappointment. I couldn't care less about that, in the end she just like those foolish human that couldn't understand me.

I guess it's time for me to go back into my deep slumber and wait for another years--

" That's really pitiful yet... inspiring. "

" ... "

" For you to betray them, you must be had a greater reason behind your action. To excel at every of their expectation, it must be hard on you when no one can't really understand your true self but still trying to gained their trust. "

" You..."

" I believe they just couldn't understand you better and too scared to understand it. Human... are always like that, Sousuke-san, they only see what they want to see and-- "

" Believe what they want to believe... right? "
Never crossed in my mind that I will smiled unconsciously while talking to her.

Her words... it seems foolish and utter gibberish, but... hmm, I don't know, it's either getting imprisoned in here make my mind going crazy bit by bit or... I do feel connected to her words.

" Fufu... it seems we have the same thought, Sousuke-san. "

" Hmm, you're pretty smart yourself. I applaud you for mentioning my favorite words. "

" So... you're in prison now, huh? How long has it been? "

" It hasn't been that long yet... but my imprisonment are pretty long to be honest. Although I don't mind, since I'm immortal. "

" Y-y-you are immortal, Sousuke-san?! "

" Please don't scream. Keep in mind that your voice came right in my mind. "
If not because this mask that put on my mouth, I would have sighed for almost everytime she screamed.

" O-oh! I'm sorry, but is that true? I mean, immortal as in... not being able to die? "

" Exactly for every definition of it. "

Once again she fell into silence.

" That's... aren't you lonely? To live that immortality by yourself only. "

Hah, I feel like I kind of know that she will say this.

" Being lonely is just for the weak. I'm strong enough to repel those hindrance. Even if I ever felt lonely, I wouldn't just sit idly until someone found me and waiting for a miracle to happen. I will search a way to have my own satisfaction. "

" Uwah... that's really wonderful of you, Sousuke-san... you just not physically strong, but mentally as well. Although I think there's something wrong with your attitude, Hehehe. "

As if you're not, brat.

" My attitude has always been like this since the beginning. I just didn't show it to too many people. Or might as well they just don't understand it.

" I see, I'm glad I could understand you, Sousuke-san. "

" Oh? Finally you use that neglected brain of yours. "

" What?! You're so mean, Sousuke-san! "

" Hah.. lower your voice, Hasu. "

" Hmph! "

In the end, I didn't think that our thought would be so connected to the point that she would state herself as being able to understand me. Till this time, no one, even the closest subordinate just like Gin, that could understand me.

I knew from the beginning, sooner or later that he will betray me someday. But I just let him thinking that I didn't know about his foolish plan.

I wouldn't exaggerating myself such as saying that it's been so long since I put my trust in someone else, but it's indeed has been many years. Or... have I even put my trust on someone before?

In the end, both me and Hasu talked for the entire day. It couldn't be helped since our thoughts connected to one each other, but I suppose... it's not really that bad. She's a good way to pass my free time anyway.

From what i observed--or hear-- she seems like an educated person with many free time--or should I say, a boring life. How unfortunate of her to suddenly fell ill like that and can only wait in her death bed.

People like her, who's in the brink of death, are people who's actually the strongest. No one knows, but I do respect people like them. Fearing death is necessary, thus that's the reason for human can have a ray of hope, and people who can walk those phase, that's what I called "courage".

" Hasu, aren't you scared of death? "

" Eh? Umm... of course I do fear death. But... It doesn't mean I should just lay on my deathbed and wait for it, does it? Hehe. I mean, even if it's my last breath I would still fight for my life. It's just... human nature, I think? Hehehe. "

It was rare of me to get amused by someone's childish or foolish words. But right now, I'm amused not because of those reason. It might be stupid of me to think like this, but why do I feel like I knew what she gonna answered, and yet I'm still asking her.

It's so ridiculous that I forgot to laugh.

" You seems to understand me better than those foolish people out there. "

" Eh~? The great Sousuke-san compliment me? Hihihi, it's an honor, sir. "

" Just when I thought you're getting smarter every time we talked... "

" Hey! "