Chapter 13

My vision went blurry, and I had to lie down.

"You okay?" Christian asked me, and wrapped the blankets around me.

"Bryan's in the hospital," Was all I could say before I cried into his chest.

"Haven, it's okay," he cooed as he stroked my hair.

"Can we leave tomorrow morning?" I asked him.

"Sure, whenever you want," he said.

"What are we going to do now?" I asked him, the color returning to my face.

"All we can do now is pray.". He said.

"Haven, wake up." Christian woke me up.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Five in the morning, I packed your bags, we are leaving in a half-hour." I went to my suitcase and got out my Jeans and a tank. It was chilly. I brushed my teeth and hair, and put it all back. Christian lugged my suitcase out to the trunk of the car. Since it was five in the morning, I fell asleep on his shoulder.

My stomach growled, and I woke up in the passenger seat of the car. Christian looked at me.

"Hungry? Let's grab some food.". We pulled into a McDonalds and got burgers and fries.

"Hey those are mine!" I said, as he grabbed some French fries out of my bag. Then, he shoved them in my mouth. I swallowed and stifled a giggle. Then I remembered Bryan and turned away.

"Hey, its okay, we'll be home before you know it.". He said and rubbed my back.

We pulled into my driveway around eight at night, and quickly dropped off my stuff in my room. Christian drove me to the hospital and held my hand the whole way there. It took all the strength I had to not cry as we headed to the room he was in down the hall.

We walked in to Bryan on a bed, smiling as soon as he saw me.

"What happened?" I asked him, horrified by all the tubes and IV's.

"Heart attack." He said grimly. I rushed over and hugged him, and Christian and he did that weird man-hug thing.

"Do the doctors know how it happened?" I asked him.

"Possibly an underlying heart condition that we didn't know about that could even be genetic. They have to run more tests before we will know for sure." Bryan explained.

"Can you play ball?" Christian asked him. Bryan's face seems to drain of all color.

"No, out for the season. No strenuous activity until we get this figured out," he said quietly. My brother, the star quarterback, was gone, when the team needed him most.

I walked into school feeling like crap. My new pair of Uggs didn't make it any better. My favorite outfit for fall, a pair of leggings, a nice sweater and Uggs, didn't make me feel as well as they should have. The clock seemed to tick endlessly, and I couldn't wait to get to study hall.

Study period came soon enough, but all I could do was sit next to Christian and share my iPod with him. The iPod suddenly clicked off.

"Come on, we need to talk. What's up?"

"It's just my life is a mess. My mom is gone, I almost lost my brother, and he can't play football anymore.". Christian held my hand the rest of the period.

"Tell you what; I'm taking you out Friday night."

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because, you need to have fun, you deserve it."

"I don't, really, crying and ruining about ten of your shirts with makeup stains and saltwater doesn't sound very deserving."

He kissed my forehead.

"Yes, you do."

"Anyways," I said, "if you want to go out Friday night, where are we going?". I sounded more rude than anticipated.

"Surprise, trust me, it's just what you need."

"Give me a hint." I whimpered and pleaded, a smile starting to appear on my face.

"Wear a dress, or skirt, either is fine with me..." He said and winked.

"Okay, I'll wear my prom dress," I said playfully.

"You already have a dress?" His eyes widened as he laughed.

"No, and wont until the day before prom, you know me."

"Just wear something pretty, even though you could wear rags and pull it off."

Sweet.

"You know, you can make any girl feel better?" I told him instantly.

"I do now," he said, and kissed my hand.

I settled on my black stretchy skirt, and a shirt that was cute with it. High-heeled boots were on my feet. The couch was my friend until he came to pick me up, switching off The Big Bang Theory in the process.

"Hey, will you tell me where we are going NOW?" I asked him. In response, he blindfolded me.

"What the hell!" He had tied the knot well.

"No peeking," he said with a sexy voice. I heard the car door slam and the engine cut off. He helped me out of the car, and up what felt like a big hill. We were outside, I knew that, but I had no clue. His fingers were at my neck, untying the blindfold loose enough for me to continue the rest.

"Okay, you can look now." His voice sounded a little far away. I took off the blindfold to find myself in our place. Christian was sitting on a picnic blanket, holding his hand out for me to sit down.

"You didn't have to do all this for me," I said.

"I didn't do it alone; I had some help from Caroline," he smirked.

"Come on, the food is getting cold." " He said as he leaned in for a kiss. I smiled and thought, just what I needed.