five: a lot

CHAPTER FIVE:

| lynette’s pov |

“I think you’re a little off today, Lyn,” one of my co-workers commented, flashing me a sympathetic look, though I didn’t need that.

I raise my shoulders, wondering why she had told me that. I was perfectly fine; I’ve always been quiet when working and in general.

She stopped looking at me and focused on filing her nails. I expected it not to last long– the conversation. I was more a girl of few words, no one bothered to get me to talk a lot.

Resuming to my own business of looking at nothing, I thought of going back to the hospital.

Well, not to get medicine, but to get to know him. 

Then again, maybe it was best if I just keep my feelings at a minimum. We’ve only ever been customer and pharmacist– nothing more.

It wouldn’t be a good move to suddenly take an interest to him. I was only holding to the fast beating of my heart and the rush I felt when I see him.

It’s just infatuation. I know it is.

There couldn’t be anything else besides that. Why would I feel love for someone I don’t know all too well? 

“There’s a customer!” Sandra, the one seated on the other counter and the one who adores filing her nails, semi-screamed.

The reason why she was acting a tad bit irritating, I shrugged it off. I was used to her changing emotions in a matter of seconds. 

“Hey, Lynette,” he greeted, a big smile on his face.

I stared at him, my eyes wide. “How did you know I work here?”

He shook his head, a small laugh following afterwards. “I don’t. I came here to buy some things, and you happened to be here.”

In an attempt to hide the flushed face I had, I took the pack of food in his hands, swiping the barcodes as painfully slow as possible.

“I was thinking…” he trailed off, tapping his fingers on the counter. 

I chose not to answer and waited for him to continue.

“Maybe we could go out sometime. You know, on a friendly date.”

Fighting the urge to agree right away, I asked him a question. “Why?”

“I like you, Lynette. I like you a lot.”