Chapter 25: Hailey

"That's a scary look you've got there.", Em giggles, "Angry?"

"I'm scared!", Beck mocks and laughs harder.

"No. Fuck you all!", I stand, "All you need to know is that you can't contact Kaidee right now and she's relying on you to not give her away. If you can't do that then you don't deserve her friendship." I turn to the door, which is luckily ajar, and bolt as fast as I can out of the door.

There's suddenly white noise in my ear and I scream tapping the tap in my ear.

"Hailey?", I hear, "Can you hear me?"

"Kai-", no the voice isn't as soft. It's more commanding, authoritative. "Mrs. Pine?"

"Elian just arrived at the grocery store. How far are you from it?"

"Um...", I look around. If I remember correctly, the store isn't that far. "Twenty minutes. Maybe thirty."

"Here.", my HDS beeps and I check my messages, "Use this and get there asap."

I accept the message and take out a generic looking vehicle, "Uh I don't have a license Mrs. Pine. I can't drive either."

I hear far away chatter before Cassandra speaks to me again, "That's fine. Just get into the car."

"Um...okay.", I climb inside and shut the door. The car starts up by itself and begins driving.

"Put your hands on the wheel.", I do as she says and arrive at the store within five minutes.

I get out of the car and enter the store. I hear some static in my ear. "Mrs. Pine?" No answer. The static is getting louder. "Shit." I pull the tap out and put it in my pocket. I guess I'm on my own.

I walk through the aisles until I see her. I remember her from the slides in class. She's looking at candles. I take a deep breath and walk over.

"Oh..em...gee... Elian Diaz?"

"Yes?", she looks confused but smiles pleasantly. She looks nicer and more docile than her daughter. She counters Luciana's mysterious and wild look perfectly with her calm and angelic one.

"Omg what's it like? Being married to a descendant and all?", I go into complete cheerleader mode, "I've always wondered what it's like to be married to a beauty who's also set for life. Oh sorry I just keep going on and on and on.", I giggle and hold out my hand, "I'm Hailey but my new friends call me Hail. Well not new friends. More like new frenemies. You can all me anything."

"Hailey...", Elian scoffs, "Tell me...what candle should I get. The lavender or the apple?", she holds them out to me.

I sniff both, "Mmm they both smell so good!!"

"Right?", Elian sniffs them herself.

"Um!"

"Hmm?"

"C-can I have your autograph?"

"Oh but I'm not a descendant."

"You're a role model to us little girls with big dreams."

Elian giggles, "Sure then."

I take out a paper, "Just a sec.", I write on it: Do the other descendants know about Cassandra's deformity? I hand the paper to her.

She doesn't even look up after reading it, not before she's finished writing. "Here you go, dear.", she hands it back.

I look at it: No. I squeeze it to my chest and give a hop of honest happiness, "Thank you so much!"