8; the one where he catches her

Faelyn picked up the book that Lydia had bought for her, the secret garden, and sat down beside the large window at the loft.

"You really like that window, don't you?" Derek said from the couch.

"I like the feeling of an open space," Faelyn shrugged, looking down. These small things she did, Derek just couldn't help but pick up on them. The way if she talked to anyone she wouldn't meet their eyes. They way when she was nervous she would fiddle with her hair. The way she got scared and shrunk her body back.

"What are you reading?" Derek asked, and Faelyn looked up at him, eying him suspiciously before trailing her eyes back to the book.

"It's called the secret garden," Faelyn admitted, "you're very talkative today."

"Is that a bad thing?" Derek asked, and Faelyn blushed furiously.

"N-no," she stuttered, "it's just different. You're a very quiet person."

"As are you," Derek pointed out, and Faelyn smiled softly.

"I wasn't always," she said, fiddling with the page of her book.

"What changed?" Derek asked, getting up from his seat.

"My sister," Faelyn admitted, "my younger sister. What changed you?"

"My family," Derek said, and Faelyn nodded.

"You have lost people," Faelyn observed, and Derek looked down at her, his arms folded, "I can tell."

Derek just nodded, sitting down across from Faelyn.

"What happened to your sister?" Derek asked, and Faelyn's breathing became uneven, causing Derek to look at her.

"I-I, I don't want to-" Faelyn stuttered, and Derek's eyes widened.

"Hey hey hey," Derek said, reaching out for her arm, "it's okay, you don't have to."

Faelyn slowed her breathing while Derek sighed, releasing her arm.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't of asked," Derek said, but Faelyn shook her head.

"It's okay," Faelyn shrugged, "it's human nature to be curious."

"Are you saying you're not human?" Derek asked, and Faelyn shook her head.

"I'm saying I'm not curious," Faelyn retorted, and Derek nodded.

"But it's human nature," he mocked, and Faelyn let out a small laugh.

"Well I'm not exactly human, am I?" Faelyn teased, and laughed after it as Derek raised his eyebrows. He wasn't used to hearing her laugh. When he thought about it, she was as shut off as he was.

"Can you help me with something?" Faelyn said, and Derek turned his attention back to her and nodded.

"Lydia has given me this... thing, and I cant make it work," Faelyn said, pulling out a second hand mobile phone, "she said I can talk to her through it if I ever get in trouble, but honestly, it just scares me."

Derek shook his head and chuckled, surprising Faelyn.

"I don't think you'll really need it. You shouldn't be getting into danger anytime soon," Derek said gruffly, and Faelyn smiled slightly.

"You're much nicer than I thought," Faelyn said, and Derek looked at her in surprise before laughing slightly, making Faelyn smile softly.

"You hungry?" Derek asked, his smile slowly fading.

"Yeah. Really hungry, actually," Faelyn said, and Derek nodded, picking up his cars keys.

"We'll have to eat out, there's nothing here," Derek said, looking back at a very confused Faelyn.

"Eat... out?" She said, and Derek but back a smile.

"Like, in a restaurant," Derek said, and Faelyn shook her head.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about," Faelyn said, and Derek scratched the back of his neck.

"It's a place where you eat, where people serve you food," Derek explained, "let's head out." He quickly tried to get rid of the awkwardness.

"Oh of course," Faelyn said, jumping up and fumbling with her jacket as she walked forward, but she tripped over the edge of the table, and fell. She shut her eyes as she expected to hit the cold floor, but instead felt large warm arms wrap around her.

Her eyes fluttered open, to see Derek's face inches from hers, his green eyes flicking around her face with concern.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked, and Faelyn nodded, rendered speechless. Derek straighten up, bringing Faelyn up with him, who didn't move her eyes from him, and even when they were standing, he didn't remove his arms.

"Are you sure?" Derek asked again, and Faelyn nodded again, gulping when his eyes flicked to her lips.

Slowly, she stepped out of Derek's grip, and picked up she jacket from the floor.

"I'll... go down the the car," she muttered, slipping past Derek and leaving the loft, as Derek stood there, pondering what he did.

Talking with Faelyn made him feel some sort of way, that he hadn't felt before, and it scared him. He didn't mean to do what he did, he just went to help the falling girl.

Shaking his head, he picked up his jacket and keys again, and walked out of his loft, trying to regain his stance again.

---

yes I just did the cliche 'boy catches the falling girl' scene sue me

also two updates over two days pat on the back for me