13; the one where she heals

Derek was interrupted reading his book by Faelyn's panicked scream from the kitchen. He didn't hesitate throwing the book to the side and running into the kitchen.

The stove was on fire, and Faelyn's fearful eyes watched him as he grabbed a fire blanket and threw it on top, putting it on top of the fire and putting it out.

He turned to her, "what happened?" There was no anger in his voice, only concern.

"I wanted to make dinner to thank you for... for everything," she mumbled shyly as she looked down at her feet, "I'm sorry. It was stupid. I should've just asked for your help."

Derek just sighed and nodded, "don't worry about it. Are you okay?"

"I hurt my hand," she whimpered, and his eyes widened as they slowly trailed down to see the red burn on her hand and spreading up her arm, "Jesus, Faelyn!"

He quickly turned he cold water tap on, grasping the part of her arm that wasn't burnt and putting the burnt patch of her skin under the water. She cried out in pain and tried to pull her hand back, but Derek kept it under the cool water.

"I know it hurts, but it'll help," he tried to reason, using his free arm to pull her close to his chest. Her tears spilt over and dampened his shirt, not that he cared. He just rubbed her back as she sniffled. He knew her hand wouldn't sting as much now, and he slowly took it away from the water.

He slowly lead her over to the table and sat her down in a chair as he got a first aid kit. She focused on the small purple plant on the table as he applied burn cream to her arm gently. He stopped every time she winced, waiting until she nodded to continue.

Derek sighed as he evaluated the burn on her hand, "maybe Melissa should take a look at it."

She shook her head, "I'll heal."

He scoffed, "of course you'll heal, everyone heals. I just mean-"

"No, I mean... I heal differently," Faelyn explained, and he watched her curiously as she reached over to the purple flowers on the table with her good hand. He watched in awe as a golden glow flowed through her hand, watching as he passed over her exposed shoulders, as if traveling through her veins, and watched it travel to her burnt hand.

Derek had to look away as the golden glow because a bright golden light. Once he looked back, he was shocked to see her skin on her hand completely healed, "but— how?"

"I'm a Dryad," she shrugged with a small smile, watching as the plant seemed to perk up, as if it magically became healthier, "I'm one with nature. Even if I'm not immortal anymore."

"I like you this way," Derek blurted before he could stop himself. She looked to him in confusion, and he sighed as he knew he would have to explain, "I like your hair like this. I like that you're not immortal. It means you're mortal. That gives me reassurance that I can protect you. I do want to protect you, Faelyn."

She blushed as she nodded slowly, listening intently to his words, "I don't know how to thank you."

"Don't thank me by making me dinner," Derek shook his head, "thank me by helping me make dinner. Without hurting yourself, okay?"

She nodded taking his outstretched hand as he lead her back into the kitchen.

-/-
I ship it