T.W/16/Lingering Feelings

As the day starts, I sigh.

I really don't want to go to school, I repeat over and over as I stare up at my ceiling. Then I force myself to get up and change.

I decide to braid my short hair into two pigtails and wear some earrings. Then I stuff some toast in my mouth as I head out the door.

For some reason, I feel like dressing up more feminine...

A neighbors cat greets me happily and I give her a piece of my bread. I'm halfway close to school when I hear his voice.

"Mikan." I hear behind me. I turn around and my heart clenches tightly.

Mahiru.

This is why I didn't want to go to school today. Especially since the weekend had just finished. He stands not so far from me with his hands in his pockets. His hair is brushed nicely today. He usually has a bed-head.

"I really don't want to talk to you." I growl in a low whisper. I don't want anyone else to know about our relationship. Especially Natsume. I start walking fast but soon enough he catches up to me.

"Can't you talk to me, for a few minutes?" He touches my shoulder lightly. I guess I'm not that fast of a walker.

I slap it away. "About what? There's nothing to talk about." I don't even feel angry or anything. I'm about to cry. At least I can argue at this point.

Even after all this time, I know for sure that I still love him a lot. I can tell from because my heart is beating like crazy. It's yearning for him. I don't know how much longer I can take any of this.

"I'll leave you alone once you talk to me. Properly." He says, blocking my way. His arms are extended and his eyes are staring right at me. "I want you to know how much you mean to me."

"..." I look down at my feet. I can feel the gazes of people walking past us. What a bunch of nosy people. I really hate people like that. "Fine. When do you want to talk?" I say, avoiding his intense gaze and letting him walk beside me.

"The firework festival this Friday." He says with a soft tone. I gaze at him stiffly.

"Mahiru..."

"Please Mikan." He says with his gorgeous eyes. 

My heart swoons.

I nod and walk past him. He tries to walk next to me but I wave my hand at him and find that at the front of the gates is... Natsume.

He frowns at the sight of Mahiru behind me. This is why I didn't want to be caught dead with him.

"Strawberry... you're late." Is all he says. I tug at his sleeve and Mahiru stays behind us, watching. "What does he want now?"

"..." I stay silent and then he stands in front of me. I turn my head away from him and cover my eyes with my bangs. "He wants to talk."

For a second or two, he pats my head and then leads me away to our class. For some reason, I want to hug him badly. I resist of course.

"He's annoying." He says but I don't say anything.

Nothing.

"Plain, annoying, short..."

"Yeah." I say and sit in my seat.

Why today?

Why did he bother to talk to me?

Especially when I'm this vulnerable?

All I can think about is the Fireworks. Which is this Friday...

"Hey, Strawberry." I hear from behind. I turn myself over and look at him. He leans on his arm and looks back at me. "Ruka asked if you wanted to come to the Festival?"

I run a hand through my hair. What timing. I know that when the day comes, it might look terrible to them if they see me when I rejected to go with them.

"I already got invited." I say with a smile so Natsume doesn't suspect. "A date."

"Oh yeah?" His expression drops. I can barely notice it though. "Hm..."

"Are you going?" I ask him. I almost feel ashamed for testing him like this. I want to see his reaction for some reason. He looks at me as if he's expecting me to say something more.

"You should come with us." He says and I widen my eyes. He's still staring at me with his gorgeous ruby eyes.

"I told you... I got invited-"

His hand barely brushes my own hand. We stay silent. I gulp. "I can't. This is important." I force myself to say.

It wasn't a lie. It's true, it's important. I have to end things with Mahiru. I have to end these feelings I have for him. Or else... I can never move on.

He keep his hand softly pressing against mine and after the bell rings, I turn around and the sensation stings-not in a bad way-warmly.