Chapter 13

Niall and I spent our three month anniversary on a picnic with Rylee, Owen, my dad, and a surprise guest. Zayn showed up. I had woken up to the sound of my doorbell ringing, and when I opened it, Zayn was standing on my front porch, looking more suave than ever. He had come to surprise Rylee, and he enlisted my help. So I took Zayn upstairs to wake her up. She was confused for a moment, but when it finally clicked that Zayn was here, she went bananas and accidentally woke up Owen and Niall. She jumped into Zayn's open arms, and he spun her around like they were the happiest couple in the world. But that wasn’t true because that postion was already taken by me and Niall.

My dad surprised the heck out of me when I saw him in the living room after we had all gotten dressed, and Rylee had finally calmed down. He took a rare day off from work to spend the day with me and my boyfriend to get to know him. He really did care. And for the moment, I forgave him for being a distant father. I forgave him for leaving me and Owen alone so many countless hours in the day. I guess he finally realized that I wasn’t a child anymore, that I was an adult who could do adult things and make adult decisions, and he didn't want to be the bad dad anymore. But I didn't care what his motivation was for spending the day with me; I was just happy he was there.

But my mom, of course, couldn't waste a day having fun with her daughter, who she hasn't seen in two months, when she could be working her butt of making a living. She was a work-a-holic. Same ole, same ole. She would never change, not even if I died.

The six of us left around noon and walked to a nearby park with picnic supplies in tow. Niall held my hand the whole way, and we grinned and blushed at each other every now and then. I heard Rylee and Zayn talking behind us, so I sneaked a peek and saw Rylee was holding on to Zayn's arm like Zayn was escorting her somewhere. It was classy.

Once we had reached the park, Niall let go of my hand and took Owen to the playground. They swung on the swings and climbed the rockwall, having the time of their lives racing to see who could get to the top. Niall let Owen win. I found myself satisfied and extremely happy. I guess my dad had noticed it, too, because I saw his stern face as he watched them.

While Rylee and Zayn set up the picnic on a nearby table, my dad walked up beside me and put his arm around my shoulders.

"I like him," he said suddenly.

I glanced up at the sun and squinted. "Me too."

He gave a short laugh. "I may not be the father of the year, but you’re not that hard to read, Sage. You don't just like him."

I tried to hide a smile, carefully avoiding the love conversation. "You know, I forgive you."

He sighed. "You have always been the most gracious person I know. I don't deserve it."

I shrugged and wrapped my arm around his back. "Life is too short to hold onto grudges. I will never forget the hours I spent growing up too fast, but I'm done being angry about it. I'm in a happy place in my life. And I plan on staying in this happy place for the rest of my life, no matter how short or long that life is."

My dad rubbed my back and gave me an awkward hug. "He's going to be a good dad."

With a nod of my head, I agreed.

Rylee pulled me aside later after my dad went to go play with the rest of the guys. They were all focused on amusing Owen in any way possible like playing football or kicking around a soccer ball.

She and I sat down at the table and set out plates for everyone.

"So you have to tell me what's going on with Zayn!" I exclaimed.