Chapter 14

I could hear sirens and people in the distance, probably rushing to me. Niall's voice entered my mind as I laid on the bed, unable to open my eyes or speak. He was telling me to be strong, and he kept cursing under his mouth.

I heard the door open and slam shut and feet hurried to me. It was Harry. He asked Niall repeatedly what was wrong, why there were paramedics racing up the building. And just as he got the words out, the door swung open again and people crowded around me.

I felt two people take my hand as I was taken out of the room and put in what seemed like an ambulance.

"Niall, answer me," I heard Harry say.

Niall choked out a reply. "She had a brain tumor when she was younger. She relapsed a few years ago."

One of the paramedics asked a question. "Has she complained of headaches or her head hurting in the past few weeks?"

Niall must have shaken his head no, but then corrected himself. "Wait, a few months ago, she hurt the back of her head. The bump won't go away, and she always feels back there when something bothers her. She said the doctor said it was alright though. No cancer."

The other paramedic responded, "Did she get a second opinion?”

“I don’t think so,” Niall replied.

The paramedic sighed. “Brain tumors are always tricky. Judging from the size of the bump on her head, I think her doctor was wrong.”

Niall must have looked grave because the guy continued, “But hey, what do I know? I’m not a doctor.”

I could feel Niall stroke my hair and cheek as Harry still held on to my hand, squeezing it as we passed over every bump.

Why wasn't I coming to?

I knew I was out of it for a few days. I could hear someone opening and closing the blinds for me as the days wore on. I couldn't tell who was there all the time, but I knew my family and Niall's family had shown up. Every few hours, I would hear someone falling asleep by my bedside, holding my hand. Niall repeatedly told me that he loved me and that he was so sorry he didn't pay more attention to my pain. I wanted so badly to tell him that it wasn't his fault. I wanted so badly to tell him that he didn't cause this, but I couldn't.

I opened my eyes quite a few days after my episode and saw Harry holding my hand and sleeping in a chair by my bed. I couldn't see a sign of Niall.

I squeezed Harry's hand to wake him up, and he stirred before his eyes opened and registered that I was awake.

"Sage, hey. You're awake." His voice sounded hoarse.

"Where's Niall?" My eyes continued to scan the room, but to no avail.

Harry kissed my hand. "Don't worry. He's been here the whole time. He's just outside talking to the doctor."

I smiled and relaxed. My head was in numbing pain. My voice was scratchy as I asked, "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be home with your family?"

He shrugged. "You've been out of it for six days. I had to make sure you were okay."

Voices were arguing outside my door, and I saw the shape of two people, one of whom was making angry gestures to the other. A few choice words were exclaimed by the beautiful Irish voice, and my heart monitor started beeping faster when I heard him.

Harry laughed. "And I had to make sure Niall was okay."

"Are the rest of the boys here?"

"Just Liam. Zayn is still in the U.S. trying to keep Rylee occupied, and Louis has family matters."