2: Eyeglasses

"Oh, I get it now!"

Feeling accomplished, she watched him confidently finish the rest of his Calculus homework. She turned to her friend, Hira, who had been looking at them for a while now.

"For an art student, you're pretty good at math," Hira affably commented.

Haneul slouched her back on her seat, cupping her elbows. On the contrary of what Hira had mentioned, Haneul's talent when it came to responding to compliments was nowhere near good.

So Haneul simply remarked, "Math is actually an art, you know."

Though she had to admit, it was also a mystery to her that she got the subject, specifically Calculus, well. Perhaps Haneul had a peculiar liking to complex ideas. But thanks to that, it helped her survive the subject since she wasn't really the biggest fan of studying.

Jungkook drew in a long breath before releasing it. "Haneul-noona is a lifesaver."

Haneul remained silent and scratched the tip of her nose as a faint smile grew on her lips.

"You suck up to your Haneul-noona so much," Hira snorted mockingly and sipped on her drink.

The young man spared a glance for a split second. "No I don't," he simply said.

"Yah, Jungkook!" Hira narrowed her eyes at him, as if anytime now, red rays of light would shoot through them. "Don't forget I'm also a year older than you. You should show some respect."

"Okay, noona." It was Jungkook's turn to mock Hira, not even tearing his attention away from his Calculus homework.

Defeated, Hira huffed and rolled her eyes to the side.

The ravenette could only pucker her lips, half-amused as she silently watched the two have their banter, recalling when and where this hostility between Hira and Jungkook had started.

"I thought she's also a freshman because of her height," Jungkook had bluntly explained during university org week.

Remembering those words were enough for Haneul to stop digging through the labyrinth of her head.

Haneul leaned on the table and stirred her almost empty cup of matcha with a straw, when suddenly, her phone vibrated. She immediately picked it out of her pocket and read the message she had received.

She squinted her eyes; her lower lip slowly pushed forwards into a pout.

Due to their clashing class schedules, the three of them did not really meet each other around so often. While Haneul and Jungkook were in the same college department, they were in different years. And Hira belonged to another department.

Just as when they could hang out today—despite mostly for the reason that Jungkook needed help for his homework—Haneul untimely received a message from her classmate.

"I need to go now," Haneul announced to the two in a mellow tone.

"Already?" Hira faked a gasp. "You can't leave me here with him!"

"It's not like I enjoy your presence either, noona." Jungkook snidely smiled.

Haneul chuckled to herself, shaking her head in amusement. "They need my help with the screen arrangement. Jennie couldn't make it today, so..." she trailed off, stuffing her phone back to her pocket as she stood up. "I'll see you around. Please try not to kill each other."

"No," drawled Hira. "Don't leave me."

Jungkook hissed under his breath whilst keeping his focus on his paper. And she wants me to call her noona.

With a meaningful smile, Haneul twirled around and started on her foot, throwing a dismissive wave over her shoulder. As much as she worried over Jungkook and Hira, she found them rather entertaining.

The café where Haneul stepped out from was located inside the university campus. To her advantage, it wasn't that far from her destination.

The university stood on a vast land, and transferring from one building to another oftentimes was painstaking. Even on her second year studying here, Haneul still dreaded long walks. She would not have minded if they were for leisure, but instead, they were rushed tramps as to not be late for the next class.

The moment she stepped inside the building, the cold rush of air greeted her bare skin.

As she reached the intersection of the wide hallways, her eyes caught something. Or more like someone.

Min Haneul had not seen Park Jimin within the week that had passed, much to her relief. She had come to a conclusion that, indeed, it was just a silly encounter with him.

However, that conclusion of Haneul's should be rejected.

There stood Park Jimin—absorbed in thought, arms on his chest whilst leaning on a locker.

Due to the sudden panic Haneul felt upon the sight of Jimin, for who knew what reasons, she instinctively turned away and paced forward in a rush. She debated with herself why she reacted as if she were running away from an offense she had committed.

As a matter of fact, hardly had anything ever fazed her considering her laid-back persona.

In her hurry, she accidentally bumped into someone, causing a few papers to scatter on the floor.

"I'm so sorry," Haneul quickly apologized, helping the guy collect his papers while a few students passing by glanced their way.

Haneul politely handed the papers, bending her upper body. "I'm really sorry for that."

"It's—"

"Taehyung!" interrupted someone.

Just hearing the familiar voice made Haneul frustratingly close her eyes. When she opened them again, she finally realized who this person she had bumped into was and mentally cursed at herself.

Just why in the world, out of so many people in the same university, did she have to knock into Kim Taehyung? Why couldn't it be somebody else?

Did I just bump myself into another chapter of misery? she questioned herself.

"I really need to go now. Sorry again." Haneul excused herself with much courteousness and strode past Taehyung.

Kim Taehyung followed her with his gaze, adjusting his eyeglasses just as Park Jimin neared him.

"Who's that?" asked Jimin, eyes trailing to where Taehyung's attention was.

Taehyung shrugged, returning his gaze in front. "I have no idea."

Though somehow, deep inside, he found himself curious.

Jimin only nodded. He was so sure he had seen that familiar back before... and he knew he couldn't be mistaken. The smirk tugging on his lips told him so.