28: Slipping Away

From that day on, I vowed to myself that I would stay away from Jimin. No more excuses. It didn't matter what he would think anymore. This was for the best. Not just for me, but for everyone.

It started from ignoring the text messages, refusing to meet up with him and hiding myself as much as possible. I rarely went to the grocery store and hoarded supplies just as I should have to avoid chancing upon him there.

Though I hadn't fully disclosed everything, specifically what had happened back at my apartment, it was clear to Hira, Jungkook and Taehyung that I did not want to involve myself with Jimin.

Just imagine, Jimin constantly seeing me that it had gone down to that point... How would Chaerin feel?

So what happened with the past few weeks was basically Taehyung pulling his friend elsewhere, telling him they had to do something important, Jungkook keeping watch for me and even Mingyu had been of help (although he had no idea), and there was Hira who I'd use as an excuse whenever needed.

If Jimin were dense, he wouldn't notice. However, that didn't seem like it.

Eventually, he too had changed, probably getting a hint. His knocks on my door had gone from sometimes to never. Maybe he figured that having a girlfriend and visiting another girl was not exactly appropriate. He also stopped messaging me out of the blue.

Perhaps he had found more time to hang out with Chaerin, which was actually who he was supposed to spend his time with in the first place.

Basically, this was Jimin and I, slowly and gradually slipping away from each other.

Just as how it should have happened since then; Just as how we should have been.

"You're doing the right thing, okay? It doesn't feel right at the moment but eventually it will," I whispered to myself and sighed, continuing my sketch.

Unsatisfied with my work, I erased the scattered strokes and dusted the sheet clean.

To be honest, convincing myself that I was happy with this was the hardest part. Merely because I couldn't. I was the least happiest with it, and it frustrated me all the more.

"But what can I do?" A low guttural sound escaped my lips followed by a knock on my forehead.

Like literally someone knocked their knuckle on my forehead.

Looking up, Jungkook stood in front with an innocent smile, showcasing his teeth. I scowled at him and he laughed, taking the space beside me.

"What's up, noona?" he asked and peeked at my work, making me instinctively hide it from him.

"You know, you call me noona every time, but lately, your tone suggests that you're acting older than me," I told him, and he chuckled. "Maybe one day it's better to just drop the noona."

"But noona sounds nice," he said and messed with my hair.

"See, you're even using it to mock me nowadays." Before he could fully react, I quickly added, "And stop laughing at everything I'm saying, it's not even funny."

Jungkook stood up and kicked a pebble on the ground. "Wait here."

"Why would I..." A frown landed on my face and I sighed as Jungkook had already jogged away. I was then left alone again, sitting on the marble rim under the tree with a few people staying at the university garden.

Without much thought, I stared at my sketchpad, tapping the tip of my pen on it. Maybe it wasn't such a brilliant idea to work here.

I carefully returned my materials inside my bag, wondering at the same time where Jungkook had gone to. He better not let me catch him if he was playing a prank on me.

When I stood up, I heard footsteps nearing me and I could make out a person from my peripheral view.

"I thought you had left me a—"

My voice caught up in my throat and I swallowed hard. Warily, my eyes wandered around, searching for Jungkook.

Why isn't he back yet?

"Haneul." Jimin's monotonous voice rang on my ears and I clenched my hand beside me.

"Hey," I replied, forcing a smile.

That coconut head better get back here. Now.

"Could we—"

"Noona! There you are!" Jungkook sprinted until he was in front of me and held on his knees as he panted heavily. Although I could see right through his act.

When he was done, he deliberately straightened up and turned to Jimin.

"Hyung!" He faked a struggling expression. "You're also here."

Jimin who had been cut off by Jungkook, closed his mouth and merely nodded at the younger one to acknowledge his presence.

"Did I interrupt something?" asked Jungkook, raising his brows at Jimin, then at me. I silently shook my head.

"No, you didn't," said Jimin, barely above a whisper.

"Awesome." Jungkook linked arms with me. "Then could I borrow Haneul-noona? I was hoping she could help me with my project since she took the same class I did before."

Jimin titled his chin up, not speaking.

Jungkook scoffed. "I interrupted something, didn't I? Sorry, hyung! This is just an emergency."

"No. It's okay," Jimin replied to Jungkook, but his gaze was fixated on me. I blinked my gaze elsewhere, distracting myself with anything but Jimin.

"We'll be going now, hyung."

I pursed my lips into a smile and nodded dismissively. I followed Jungkook's lead and dumbly stole a glance behind me. Feeling embarrassed that Jimin caught me, I snapped my head back in front.

"Where did you even go?" I questioned Jungkook.

"About that..." Jungkook smiled widely at me, hinting his snarky side.

"Actually, Haneul, could we talk?"

For a moment I was confused. Judging by Jungkook hiding his anxiousness through his straight face, I wasn't hearing Jimin's voice mistakenly.

Composing myself, I turned around. "I'm sorry Jimin, but Jungkook needs—"

"We all damn know that's not true!" Jimin argued, and I was taken aback.

Jungkook looked away, eyes slightly rounded and poked his cheek on the insides with his tongue. Jimin's sudden uproar had caused a few glances being thrown at us.

Thankfully, this garden near the parking area wasn't filled with a lot of people. I mean, if there was even anything to be thankful at this point anyway.

I took a sharp breath in and stared directly at Jimin's eyes, releasing the air out of my lungs slowly.

"Speak."

— ✿ —
a/n: classes were cancelled so here's an early update for this week + if this chapter gets 40 votes by Saturday, then as a bonus, I'll update again on the weekend (which will then mean that by next week Paper Cranes will be finished omg) anyway, thank you so much for everyone's support on this book. I hope you all are happy and healthy.

with love, katy