15) The game

Kayla

"Ladies! You have twenty minutes to get dressed and then head out for warm ups. Got it?' 

"Got it." My whole team and I responded back to our coach who was a little nerve racked at the moment stressing about the idea our first game of the season was finally here. Coach forgot to close the door for us changing girls she was so nervous, I had to go and close the door myself laughing the whole way.

"I just love her." I mumbled to myself as I made my way back to my bag which held all my clothes.

Pulling my shoes and knee pads out first, I then grabbed my jersey top and my black spandex. Our school colors were Cobalt Blue and White, which was not the best but I still liked it and wasn't the one to complain. The number on my long sleeved jersey was twenty-five. Twenty-five has been my number for volleyball as long as I can remember and that was in second grade when I played for the local teams. I've stuck with it for all these years, and I know for how every many more I get to play this wonderful sport of mine, that number will always be mine.

I threw on my spandex, knee pads and shoes and I was dressed ready. The last thing I needed to do was put my hair a braid. Some days I would throw it into a fish tail or a regular braid, but today, my mother had send me a volleyball print headband that would look great with a french braid. I smiled at the thought of my mother and how thoughtful she was and got started on my hair. 

Making my way to the mirror, I noticed Morgan was already there putting delicacy into little braids here and there, making sure she looked beautiful. 

That was like her.

I walked up behind her and tried to see what I was accomplishing so far, but as soon as I got sight of my hair, Morgan moved in front of me casually and blocked me.

"Uh, excuse me Morgan. I kinda need to see?" I said to her still holding my hair which was getting kind of tiring.

"Oh, sorry. You will have to wait. Being beautiful like me isn't easy you know dear." She said smirking at me and flipping the hair that wasn't up yet in my face making me blow it out.

"Whatever Medusa." I grumbled under my breath as I walked away hoping my french braid looked okay. Walking to sit by my bag and phone, I saw Samuel had sent me a message saying,

Your biggest fan has no basketball practice today! Will be at your game exactly on time. ;) Don't get distracted when you see me okay? 

xx Sam

I looked at the message and smiled. That's when an unexpected somebody came up behind me looking like her usual cute self.

"Oh dear Lord you scared me. " I told my best friend who happened to have her hair already done and was worry free. She laughed and then took my hair from me.

"Sorry, didn't mean to! Anyways, what have you done to this beautiful hair?" She asked while I scoffed.

"Me? Try asking Lady Medusa over there." I told her pointing to Morgan who was now applying make up. I never wore make up to my games.

Its a sport. Not a pageant.

Brooklyn laughed and then she undid my hair to restart. It took her about ten minutes to complete my hair as she said, "Perfection comes through waiting." I rolled my eyes and just let her play with my hair.

At last, Coach came to get us and bring us out to warm ups. When we entered the opposing team's court, I gasped at how large it was. The team had not come through the building as we were directed to the side where we entered the locker rooms. Boys at that.