Chapter 20

Zoe's POV:

   "A.....Carnival?" I ask.

Nowaki nods. "Yes. I figured you girls would want to have some fun, since you've been here for 5 months already."

I look over at Jade and Faith to see Faith deep in thought while Jade just shrugs at me. I look back at Nowaki and Shrug. "I don't know."

Jade nods. "Yeah. I mean, I don't know if I want to be around a bunch of people I don't know-"

"Shinobu and Miyagi will be there~" Nowaki says slyly. Jade jumps up, her eyes wide.

"Really?!" She asks excitedly, stars in her eyes. Faith giggles and I toll my eyes as Nowaki nods.

   "Yup. And so will Takahashi and Usami-sensei~" he says, glancing at Faith, who immediately jumps up as well. They both squeal and grab my arms, making me in the middle.

   "Let's go to the Carnival, Zoe!" Jade says.

   "Yeah! It'll be fun!" Faith adds, squeezing my arm tightly.

   I look at them, not saying anything. They stare back, their eyes begging me. I look at Nowaki. "Can I invite Demyx and his family?" I ask.

He tilts his head to the side. "Who's Demyx?"

"He's a close friend of ours!" Faith says.

Jade nods. "Mmhmm, we all grew up together." She adds.

Nowaki gives us a look, but before I can read his expression, his usual smile is back and he nods his head. "I don't see why not."

Jade starts to clap her hands, while Faith grabs mine and squeezes. "This is going to be fun!" She says, giggling.

Jade stops clapping and looks at us, realizing something. "We have to go tell him!"

  Faith jumps up, still holding onto mine and grabbing Jades. She looks at Nowaki and smiles at him. "We'll be right back!"

   Before he can say anything, she runs out the door, pulling us with her.

Nowaki's POV:

As Zoe and her friends rush out of the room, I can't help but think about that far off look she had ever since we came back from Usami's house. She seems to be blocking us out even more and she's already been with us for a few months.

   I sigh and walk out of the room. Hiro-san and I have been thinking about officially adopting her and we really do love her, but she won't let us in. I've been wondering what's behind that wall she has up. Jade and Faith seem to have the same wall, but they don't tell me anything either. Even Usami and Miyagi have noticed.

"What are you thinking about?"

I break out of my thoughts and look up to see Hiro-san straighten his tie. He raises an eyebrow at me and turns away.

"You seem deep in thought about something." He says, taking off his tie.

I smile and walk over to him. "Yeah, just thinking about Zoe and how to tell her that we want to adopt her officially."

Hiro-san looks up at me and his face softens. He looks down and sits on the bed. "Do you think she'll accept it?"

I shrug. "If we're talking about Zoe, then there's no telling how she'll react to it."