9

Eleven days have flown away like a peaceful dove. I woke up in the morning, went to school, went home, ate, talked with my sister and my best friend, and waited.

I waited every day like a shopaholic waiting for sales.

At first, I was excited.

The minutes spent looking at my phone during lunch with my colleagues, were a sweet torture: the heartbeat accelerating, the hands sweating and trembling, the mouth drying.

The night spent on my couch with the TV on and my imagination running back and forth, with possible encounters in smalls coffee bar, restaurants or in the park, were my dreamland.

The copious dialogs built into my mind between us; the soft smiles and shyly touches; the embarrassing talks about our first night together; the chocolate cake; his hands; the blindfold, and my stupid questions, were unforgettable memories.

Next, I was frustrated.

My phone was some devil's weapon, created to destroy my patience. I locked it up in the drawer of the night table, hoping to forget that I was waiting for the damned phone call. But, after a few hours spent without it, the urge to check for a message or a call, was too much. A slight itch used to attack my hands that began to tremble and my willpower was broken instantly. So, I used to walk slowly through the living room and reach my bedroom. I used to sit on my bed, open the night table and grab the phone to check for any notifications, whispering to myself to calm down, lying to my heart, persuading my mind that I hadn't feelings for Matt.

Actually, I think that I haven't any feelings for him. However, if all my efforts are focused on Matt, I don't have time to remember Josh, and the wounds of my heart will heal sooner. And in a certain way, I guess this is a good thing. Because, since I have this kind of on and off with Matt, I don't fall asleep crying at night, thinking of Josh and his girlfriend. My first thought in the morning it's not him anymore. Of course, I didn't forget my ex-boyfriend. His face pops up in mind at any moment: during class; when I am watching a movie that I know he likes; while I am making an apple pie or if I bump into a person that he knows; when I am wearing a t-shirt that he bought for me. But his memories are fading away a bit at the time, like leaves falling from a tree in autumn.

Now, after eleven days have passed by, I can feel only one thing: resignation.

Matt won't call, and waiting for him to make a move, is like wasting my time. I am a grown up man. I have had crushes and happiness, slaps in the face and harsh words. I have overcome bad situations and enjoyed life, and Matt is just an unpleasant issue to put behind me.

*****

Now I am entering a beautiful building downtown, with a big smile on my lips.

Today, it's my day off from work, and I am meeting my sister at her law firm.

The first time I come here, I was a bit intimidated from all the money and power irradiating from all the people who work in these offices. Even the secretaries, in the main hall, look like same Greek goddesses ready to destroy you with their smiles and looks. They are beautiful of course, but if you don't know them, they make you tremble in fear.

I wave timidly at some people who I know, and I go directly to the elevator. I push the number thirteen and hum the new song of Bruno Mars, letting my thoughts resting.

In a blink of an eye I am at the floor where works my sister, and as always I can smell dollars, French cologne, and self-confidence.

They are the best of the best. Predators of the law. They can throw you in heaven or in hell just like that. A word, a move, and you are done.