15

It's almost 13.00 and Matt, Erik and I are sited on my couch, watching Jumanji.

When Erik woke up this morning, they talked about the fight in the bar and the night to the police station. Matt yelled his frustration and disappointment to his brother, who sat still, hearing every word with a shameful expression.

Maybe, he has finally understood Matt's effort and sacrifice. Or simply, he was afraid of his brother anger and decided that the smart move was to be quiet and deal with the yelling.

After releasing all his anger, Matt sighted and sited next to his little brother. "You have to be smart," he said, while his chest was still moving unnaturally. "I can't protect you forever."

"I know," he answered sheepishly. "I promise you to be smart."

Matt shook his head. "Don't make promises you can't take. He said, leaving the room and going to the bathroom for a shower.

Erik looked at me. He was said and helpless. "He won't forgive me this time."

"He will."

He puffed a breath of air out as he was letting his tiredness sleep away. "Matt doesn't understand me. What I need and what I want."

"So, talk to him."

"It's useless. He would say that I am just a stupid kid."

"Then, tell me," I proposed.

"Nah... Leave it." He stood up, ready to go out. "I will meet with some friends," he announced; but Matt got out of the bathroom and stopped him. He was still naked, with his blonde hair wet, falling over his face.

The situation was serious. However, my brain could focus only on the amazing body standing in front of me. Matt and Erik's words were flying around my ears; but, my mind couldn't catch them.

I only understood that Matt wanted to go home and talk to Emily about the trial. But Erik wasn't willing to ditch his friends.

"You wanna go to see your friends? The same friends, who put you in jail?"

"It wasn't their fault," Erik shot out.

"No! It was yours." Matt's face was becoming red; meanwhile, his eyes were becoming bigger and bigger, like two bombs ready to explode.

"Yes, it's always my fault."

"Grow up!"

"Why? I'm a teenager. I have the right to act like one," Erik protested.

"And I won't act like a father, but I have to." He went near his brother. Their noses almost touched. "It's life, and the ninety percent of the time sucks."

I know I am the biggest problem in your life. You aren't free because of me," Erik stated, putting some distance between them. "You can go away, or I can go. It's fine. Live your life as you please. Don't feel guilty."

A bitter laugh echoed in the room. "You wouldn't survive even a month alone." He was crushed by his little brother words. All the years spent taking care of him. All the sleepless nights waiting for him, worried about him. All the sacrifice. Where all this stood if Erik minimized his work? His role in their relationship?

"I lived four years without you. I survived."

"Yes!" Matt burst out, "at what price?" He paced my leaving room up and down, punching the creamy walls here and there. "I paid a high price for..." he stopped the sentence at half like he had realized that was saying too much and took a deep breath.