Chapter 3

"A fox-what is that?" A voice asked. Cats were wide awake now.
"I recognize that name. A creature with a bushy tail and a pointed nose to match its ugly eyes. Hunt at times like these." Bright Wind rasped.
"Lovely, just lovely." Light Mist growled in annoyance. Just then, a tawny shape emerged. It crept close growling and bounding for the nearest cat. Stone Storm growled and thrusted himself on front of Misty Tail. He hissed and swiped at its nose, Weasel Spot and Fish Scar joining him. The three cats yowled and shrieked. The fox barked at them, swiping a paw down Stone Storm's gray flank. "Is that all you got you mangey horror! Wolves put up a better fight than you!" Taunted Fish Scar. Some of the other grouped yowling to chase it away, the fox turned and fled at the mass of cats.
"And don't come back!" Weasel Spit shrieked. He sniffed and ran over to check on his mate and kits. "Are Wolf Fur and Viper Strike okay?" He asked Misty Tail. She nodded her head. Dove's Pelt looked around, alarm in her eyes. "I've never seen anything more awful in my life!" She meowed.
"When you get to my age, you won't be saying that anymore." Bright Wind rasped walking into a den. She yawned and went back to sleep. "How can that bag of bones sleep after a fox nearly attacks us?" Light Mist meowed completely annoyed and bewildered.
"That bag of bones as you call her, deserves respect you flea-brain!" Deer Snout hissed, her pointed pelt bristling in rage.
"Go back to sleep you all.." Stone Storm meowed. The cats returned to their dens until it was just Stone Storm. Then Pigeon Talon came to stand in front of him. "What was that?" She asked.
"I am unsure. But I am sure that it's the beginning of many dangers that will plague this forest.." he replied as he walked to his den.

Stone Storm was woken the following day by Fish Scar prodding him with a paw. "We're back from investigating. No sign of the fox, and we managed to snatch of few of its mice." He meowed.
The sun shone overhead. Bright between the whisker straight pine trees.
"Excellent. More food." The gray tom purred. From the bushes, Eagle Speck padded up to him. "Would you like to go hunting with me?" She asked sweetly.
"I... er.." Stone Storm's ears twitched and his tail began to quiver.
"Come on, it'll take your mind off things for a while." She purred, slowly lashing her tail. "Well okay. I suppose one session wouldn't hurt." The gray tom meowed as he followed behind the tortoiseshell she-cat. The tom didn't see, but a pair of eyes watched the pair of cats exit. It was Deer Snout as she frowned, her tail drooping. Gray Sky padded over to her. "Hi Deer Snout!" He meowed cheerily. "Want to go hunting with me?" His eyes warm.
"Sure. I'd love that." She mewed, her tone changing as they too exited the camp. This sensation felt unfamiliar. The warmth of the forest as warm as it had always been. So why was it suddenly so much warmer?