Nine: Second Kiss (if the first one counts)

Bold=Flashback or POV Change

(Y/N's POV)

You arrive back at Tazuna's house from the woods in one piece exhausted, you are truly on the verge of starvation at this point. Just as you take a seat on the front steps to remove your muddy shoes, you hear bickering coming from behind the house.

"Believe it, Sasuke. I don't believe that we did it at the same time but we both made it to the top!" Naruto's distinctive voice rings out from around the corner.

You decide to wait for them before entering the house and you all enter together.

You, Sasuke, and Naruto get back inside just in time for dinner. Naruto takes a seat next to you at the dinner table and you begin wharfing down food. Not only are you starving, but it's a great way to restore energy, and you'll need all you can get if you plan on being able to function tomorrow.

You continue eating until you feel like you are going to throw up, and Sasuke and Naruto finish not long after you do. Soon, everyone is done eating, and you lean back in your chair happily full. Tsunami sets a glass of green tea in front of you, and you hold it in your hands.

The Japanese always drank tea after dinner but you had hated tea since you were a child. Naruto and Shikamaru were the only people who knew the little fact about you.

"Thank you." You say anyway accepting it to not be rude. Naruto gives you a look and you give him a look back before you guys go back to minding your own business.

At the far end of the kitchen, Sakura stands by the wall looking at a torn photograph. The picture appears to be of Tazuna's family (Tsunami, Tazuna, and Inari), but it seems as though a person was torn out of the picture. "Excuse me," Sakura calls over from the other end of the room. "Why is this picture torn?" She asks Tsunami politely.

Everyone in the room freezes, and you watch as Tazuna, Tsunami, and Inari all hang their heads. Kakashi sighs deeply at Sakura, clearly irritated that she would ask about what is clearly an awkward topic to talk about.

You mentally face palm and you almost feel embarrassed for her. But you can't lie and say the topic didn't interest you as well. 

"It's my husband." Tsunami explains without turning around.

Tazuna looks to his hands and elaborates. "He was once called hero of this town."

Inari jumps out of his chair at the dining table and rushes out of the room. Tsunami shoots a dirty look at Tazuna before chasing after her son.

Tazuna continues in his story. "Back when that man was still around, Inari used to smile like a child should."

Inari used to be happy and not a depressing rude child? This caught your attention. You almost snort but realize this is a serious and deep conversation.

Tazuna clenches his fist, and tears begin to run down his face. "The man's name was Kaiza, and he was a fisherman of this town. I believe Inari took to him because he lost his real father at a very young age. It didn't take long for Kaiza to become a member of the family. And the town needed him too. Countless times he repaired the town dam, saving all the houses and people that would have been drowned."

"He sounded like a great person." You smile sadly as you acknowledge this tale is about to take a turn for the worst. 

"He was a great man." Tazuna gives you a small smile. "When Gato came to town, though, they beat Kaiza to a pulp, breaking both of his arms, simply to send a message to the townspeople. Later...Kaiza was executed right in front of Inari's eyes. Ever since that day, Inari has felt betrayed by his father. He believes that Kaiza gave up on the people of the town, and that he failed at protecting the town from Gato. The whole town has changed since those days..." Tazuna muses.

This gave you a soft spot for Inari. Now you could see why he was the way he was. He just needed a moment to turn his life around and find a purpose for himself.