Chapter 16

"Ladies it ain't easy being independent..."

"Shoes on my feet, I bought it. The clothes on my feet, I bought it..."

"All the ladies who truly feel me, throw your hands up at me..."

Our music producer, along with the rest of our crew, cheered for us, outside of the recording booth. We had just finished recording our new song, "Independent Woman." We were just beginning to put together our first upcoming album.

On too of that, our highly anticipated music video for "Buttons" was almost out. From what Alison says, it turned out amazing and was sure to boost our fame (well, obviously - we were practically half naked). But I'm not going to lie, it was the song we worked the most hard on. I mean those dance moves still have my body feeling sore...

I grabbed a sip of water as the crew started putting together our song. I was much more comfortable with this song, given there were no sexual references, and that I actually wrote this one.

"So what are you guys wearing for the interview tonight?" Kylie asked, as we were munching on the veggie platter Alison brought in for us.

"Interview?" I said, confused. Since when? But hey I was excited to go anyway. In fact, I had all my interview outfits planned already in my closet.

"Oh..." She began, looking at the other girls awkwardly. "The interview for the new movie premiere."

Of course. "Oh." I just said, trying to not sound upset at all.

"Hey, it's just one of those boring late night shows." Sel chimed in to make me feel better. "With that old guy, David Letterman? So boring."

I knew she didn't mean it. He had one of the most popular talk shows, featuring the most famous celebrity guests. They were so lucky.

"Right." I fake agreed, which led the girls to go on about their wardrobe for the night right in front of me, with no regards for how I might feel. As always.

I tried not to let it bother me, zoning out of their conversation and to our music playing in the background. I had something to be proud of at least.

I decided to stay at the studio and work more on song writing while the girls were out. Especially at times where I felt so left out, my song writing notebook became my best friend.

And that was where I shined. I mean it was what I loved to do, and I always did it alone. But that night, the only thing I did was scribble out each of my lyrics and throw all my papers in the trash. Why did song writing suddenly get so hard?

"You seem... distracted..." the girls' voices echoed in my head.

I hate to admit it but they were right. Each moment I jotted down a lyric, my mind went straight to Em. I wanted to write about how he made me feel, but I knew that wouldn't be right for the album. And besides, how did he make me feel? Anxious yet excited? Lustful or in love?

I felt confused, that's for sure.

Ugh, and there I was again, thinking about him.

I put my pencil down, taking a deep breath. Focus.

"Hey Mel." Came his soothing voice from behind me. Oh great, now I was hearing him too.