-Chapter 11-

I close the large oak door behind us and set my bags aside.

"Welp, welcome to my humble abode," I whisper, kicking off my snow-covered boots and gesturing for Chloe to do the same.

She nods compliantly.

"Mom, Dad? I'm home!" I call out, allowing Chloe to take back her jacket.

"We're in the living room, Maxine. Come introduce us to your friend!" Mom calls from the next room.

I swallow hard and lead Chloe closer to the source of my mother's voice. She hesitates, holding me back to, "Dude... she sounds pissed. Are you sure about this?".

I nod and give her hand a gentle squeeze, "I've never been more sure of anything more in my life,".

We both walk out into the room with fake smiles plastered on our faces, "Hey, Mom, Dad," I wave at my parents, feeling them eyeing me disappointingly.

No... not me.

They're staring at Chloe. I cough a bit and clear my throat, trying to get their attention back on me, "So, uh. This is Chloe. She's going to be staying with us over break,".

"Is she now, did you even bother asking us first?" Dad says sternly.

I can feel Chloe's body tense up from where she stands beside me.

Stick up for yourself! Her eyes seem to be telling me.

"D- do I have to ask your permission for everything? This is my house too ya know," I reply with some sass that puts a smile on Chloe's face.

"But it's not your home anymore. We've gone over this multiple times. You live at Blackwell now, Maxine".

It's Max, I correct in my head.

"Then why am I even here?!".

"Please. It's late... let's talk about this in the morning," Mom says, pressing her hands against her temples.

"Mom, why am I here?" I ask again, watching as my parents get up and prepare to leave the room,

"In the morning, Maxine," Dad says, shaking his head slightly, "In the morning,".

And with that, they're gone... without even saying 'Welcome Home'.

"*Ahem* Nice to meet you too," Chloe says with half-assed sarcasm, "Are you okay?".

I feel her hand rest on my shoulder and pull away.

"Why did I even bother coming back... things aren't going to change," I mutter bitterly to myself.

"Uh...if I'm not welcome I'll go find a motel to stay at,".

"No... no... please don't go. It's cold and late and the nearest motel is almost 10 miles away... and," I let my voice trail off.

"And what?".

I sigh and blush, "And I don't want to be alone,".

Wow, was that mushy or what?

"Well, no need to be worried about that, Maxie. I'll always be with you," Chloe says, hugging me from behind.

"Are you sure 'this' is okay?" I want to ask, "I'm not just a rebound, am I? You didn't just kiss me back because you didn't want to feel alone too, did you?".

I shake my head and pull away, "We can't do this here," I say, gesturing to the entirety of my h-... my parents home, "My parents will kill me,".