- Chapter 18-

Chloe's house is exactly how I imagined it.

It's small, quiet, and blue.

"Why is only half the house painted?" I ask Chloe as she pulls into the snowy driveway.

"My real dad never got to finish painting it, and David never felt right finishing someone else's job. I respect him for that".

I nod slowly, a bit of anxiety bubbling up from yesterday.

"We're going to be okay, Max. We're going to be okay" Chloe repeats softly, staring blankly at her shaking hands.

I reach over and take hold of her hand, feeling it close limply around mine.

She turns to me and I see her face is pale looking and almost emotionless.

"We're going to be okay" Chloe continues, resting her forehead against mine and exhaling deeply, "Are you ready?".

I nod again, unable to find my voice.

I grip my jacket close to my chest as I exit the truck, the bitter cold biting at my nose.

Before we reach the door, I tug on Chloe's shirt sleeve to catch her attention, "C- Chloe, a- are your parents going to be okay with this, with us? I- I know David is, b- but what about your mom?".

Panic is clear in my voice as I look up to my girlfriend for guidance and support.

She sighs and holds me by my shoulders, " We're going to be okay. Repeat that, okay? We're going to be okay ".

I nod and take a deep breath, repeating the phrase once out loud and twice in my head.

It doesn't help my case at all.

"My mom knows what happened to you, Max. I- I told her".

I look up at Chloe with a horrified look, "W- what?!".

"She feels bad, Max, okay? Especially since she went off on us in the diner. I just... I don't think she's seen me being protective over someone like that since I'm usually the one to start shit. So please don't worry about this, my anxiety can't take much more of this shit".

I nod again and hug her tightly, sliding my hands into her jacket pockets and burying my face in her chest.

"I'm sorry, Chloe. I- I'm just freaking out about this too,".

Chloe reaches up and soothes my hair down, "I know, but for now let's focus on the present, not the past or the future , okay? For right now, let's focus on us".

I nod again and let Chloe lead me into the warm inviting house.

Focus on Chloe, Max. Not anyone, or anything else. Nobody knows about you and Chloe yet, and Rachael doesn't even know we're back yet so we're safe... for now. Just ride out the rest of the week then you can go back to the door and forget any of this ever happened.

Chloe tugs on my arm a little, making me realize I've stopped dead in my tracks, lost in my own thoughts and staring off into god knows where.

I blink and take a breath before following along as she leads me into the kitchen.

"Mom? I'm... we're home" Chloe says to the blond woman standing over the stove.

She looks up at us with tired eyes, "Chloe. Max. it's good to see you made it back alright. Weather's gettin' nasty out there".

Chloe nods and rips off her beanie, shaking the snow out of her fading blue hair, "Heh, you can say that again".

Mrs. Price chuckles warmly and shakes her head, "Go wash up, Chloe, I'd like to have a word with Max if you don't mind".