-Chapter 20 (Pt. 1)-

"As you all know, the 'Everyday Heroes' contest from last October was canceled due to lack of student interest," Mark Jefferson says during one of his many, many lectures, "But after begging and pleading with Principle Wells, I managed to bump the contest up to this month".

A few kids groan in protest, others are excited and I for one feel utterly indifferent. In fact, I'm not even paying attention. I keep fiddling with the gauze on my wrist and hand, ignoring everything else.

It's been two days since school started and five since the whole Rachel thing. After she gave her statement at the police station, Chloe reluctantly agreed to let David take us both to the hospital, at least to make sure nothing was broken.

Chloe's fine aside from a few bruises on her neck which she hides with a turtleneck shirt. I didn't have it so easy. When the nurses checked out my hand, they said I broke a few of my knuckles and sprained my wrist. Heh, me and Chloe were shocked, I mean... I didn't think I was that strong. I kinda dread to find out the damage I did on Rachel's face.

Eh, no you don't. You're secretly glad you beat the shit outta her.

I roll my eyes at myself.

Okay, I admit it was a little satisfying hitting her, but I don't think I beat the shit outta her.

Anyways, I try to keep to myself, not really keen on explaining why I have a black eye and fucked up wrist. I have to lie and say I got hurt in some other way, like a skateboarding accident as Chloe suggested.

It worked for a time, but the more I used the lie, the fewer people believed me. Not that I have a lot of friends to tell, aside from Chloe, Kate, Brooke, and Nate. And even then, only Chloe and Kate know, but rest assured Kate will tell Brooke in no time.

Anyways, just to pass the time (and fill my photo quota for the day) I grab my 'new' Polaroid camera and slide it under the table I'm sitting at, hoping to sneak in a quick selfie of two.

CLICK.

The sudden flash makes me jump for some dumb reason, but not enough to get noticed. At least, not by my peers, but Mr. Jefferson?

Oh, boy.

"Shh, I believe Max has taken what you kids call a 'selfie'... a dumb word for a wonderful photographic tradition. And Max," he says, "Has a gift".

I blush, feeling everyone's eyes on me.

"Now, Max, since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?".

Shit, how the fuck am I supposed to know this crap?

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you knew all this stuff already.

I open my mouth to say something, but no words come out. I turn to my classmates for help but, of course, get none. All I get is a blank, expecting stare. Even from Kate. They all know I'm Mr. Jefferson's 'Teacher's Pet', since I basically know the answers to almost everything and such. I swallow hard and turn to see Victoria Chase watching me with concern.

On any normal day I'd be shooting out answers as quickly as Mr. Jefferson can come up with them (Hence the 'Teacher's Pet') and now that I actually don't know the answer, I guess she finally has the opportunity to prove she's better than me. But no... instead of calling me out for my fumble, she starts mouthing words to me.

"The Daguerreian Process," Victoria says without speaking.

I blink, Is Victoria Chase, Queen 'B' of the Vortex Club, actually trying to help me?