Chapter 18: Seeing Cody

Mrs. Teele's car was waiting in the parking lot, so I waved to my friends and climbed into her car.

"Hey, how was the exams? Did you have any issues with your shoulder?" She asked as she started driving to the hospital to see Cody.

"The first exam was fine, but I got really stiff during the second. Did you bring my medication?" I asked.

"Yes, I put it in the side door panel along with some cool drink."

I sighed in relief and pulled out the medication and cool drink and gulped it down all at once. By the time we pulled up to the hospital ten minutes later, I could already feel some relief. But looking up at the hospital building, I felt a sense of dread. Inside, Cody was lying in there, still asleep.

I squeezed my eyes shut, then turned to see Mrs. Teele with tears brimming her eyes.

"He will be okay." I said to her, a statement which had somehow become my mantra.

"I know, come let's go see him." She got out and then went to the boot and pulled out a small bouquet of flowers.

We entered his room at the ICU where he would remain until he woke up and I pulled up short. It didn't get easier, seeing him like this. He looked so small. So defenceless. So alone.

Mrs. Teele set the flowers down on the side table next to him and then stroked his hair. "Hi my love. I brought you some flowers to cheer you up. SO you better wake up before they die okay? I need you to see how pretty they are. I know what you want to say right now though; 'Agh mom, I don't like flowers.' But I don't care. I just want you to wake up." She sat down on the chair next to the bed and looked up. "Don't stand there all lost. Come and say hello." She encouraged me.

I walked up to him and looked down at his calm face. How could he look so calm? He can't look so calm with everything is going on! I scrunched up my face trying not to cry.

"Would you like some coffee?" She asked.

I shook my head no.

"I'll go get you a hot chocolate then. You look like you need alone time with him. She got up and pulled the curtain closed around us.

I sat on the edge of his bed and ran my hand down his cheek. "You jerk, you get to miss exams." I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood and stop myself from crying, but nothing could hold back my tears when I noticed the bruising on his arms. I leant down and rested my head against his.

"I don't know what to say, so I will just say what I feel. I was an idiot for not saying it to you sooner, so I need you to wake up so I can say it to you every day. And who knows, maybe you will say it back." I pulled back and ran my fingers through his hair.

My eyes went to his lips and I pictured how they felt against my own. How soft they were, yet they were so persistent. I could practically feel the yearning he threw into that last kiss in the woods.

"I don't just love you Cody, I am completely, totally, head over heels in love with you. So I need you to wake up so I can tell you that, then you will smile at me and tell me you love me again. Wake up so we can plan our future together. I want to marry you one day, live with you. We could adopt kids, but only if you want to. I don't care what we do, as long as it's with you."

I stared at his peaceful face and wiped my face.

"Jeremy?" I heard Mrs. Teele say behind me. "I didn't mean to eaves drop, but I heard what you said. You see a future with Cody?"

I wiped my eyes again and stood up. "I do. I can't see myself with anyone else. Just him."

She teared up and threw herself onto me. I grimaced at the force it put on my shoulder, but she was on my good side so I didn't say anything, I just held her as she cried.

The doctor walked up so I told her and she dried her eyes and faced him. "Hello doctor."

"Hello Mrs. Teele. I asked the nurses to let me know when you were here so I could speak with you." He glanced at me then back at her, silently asking if it was okay if he continued in front of me.

She nodded, "Please go on." She said bravely.

"There has been swelling in Cody's brain. It is not bad, but until it goes down, there is very little chance of him waking up."

I couldn't take any more so I ran out of the room and out of the hospital. I needed to think. Swelling? How does that even happen? How long does that even take to go down?

I arrived at the park and sat on a bench. I rubbed my eyes and hung my head.

"Hey." I heard and looked up to see Kyle standing in front of me.

"What do you want?" I turned my head to the side.

"I just wanted to see if you were okay. I saw you running out of the hospital and got concerned. So I followed you. What's going on?"

"It's Cody, he has swelling in his brain. The doctor said he won't wake up until it goes down."

Kyle let out a breath and sat next to me.

"What if he doesn't wake up? He could be like that for years! He could..." I started, but Kyle pulled me to look at him.

"Everything will be okay! You just need to trust that everything will be okay! And I promise to be your friend until that happens. I swear it!" He looked at me dead in the eye and I searched his eyes, trying to figure out if he was being honest. I saw his eyes flicker to my lips briefly.

"Okay. I could use a..." I started again, only this time I was cut off by Kyle plunging his tongue into my mouth. And for a second I let myself imagine it was Cody, so I let myself be taken in by the kiss.

Before long I realised what I was doing and pulled away. I hit him with the back on my hand across his face.

"You damned liar! You said you would be a friend! Friends don't pull this crap! Don't EVER talk to me again!"

I turned and ran towards the hospital, desperate to seek comfort from Cody. I needed to apologise to him, even if he wasn't awake to hear it.

I reached his bed and sat down. I looked at his sleeping face and took his hand in mine. "I am so sorry Cody. It meant nothing. Less than nothing. I love you! But, I-I just kissed Kyle. I somehow pictured it was you. I'm so sorry."

I looked back up at his face and the blood drained out of my face when I saw his eyes where open.

________________________________________________________________________

Hi Everyone!

I know it's been awhile since I posted, that's why I decided that you amazing people deserved two posts in one day!

But man was this chapter hard to write. I had goosebumps on my arms by the end. But it had to happen for the future. I promise it leads to something.

Thank you peoples!

Pammy