Chapter 13 ~ Explanation

We walked back to the pack house after releasing Jack, Vivian and Lisa, Scott's arm carelessly slung over my shoulders as he joked with the guys about football. He was so carefree, and I loved seeing him like this.

"No! They totally beat them!" Matt shouted, pouting.

"No, they didn't!" Scott and Brax laughed together in sync. They burst out laughing even harder and high-fived. Even Mark, the guy that I met when I met Brax, was here. Brax had called more men to come and help watch the prisoners. He even had one of our trackers to make sure that they actually did go back to their territory.

"They beat them thirty-three to eighteen, Matt," Scott laughed.

He pouted even harder, crossing his arms over his chest like a kid. "Nina, what do you think?" He asked suddenly.

"Matt, there's a fifteen point difference, they obviously lost," I chuckled.

"See?!" Brax nearly pissed himself laughing.

"And I really don't know anything about football," I said.

"Oh, man, you just got burned!" Mark laughed.

"Really?" Scott asked me.

I shook my head, "you do forget I haven't had a normal childhood, per say."

He frowned momentarily, then said, "oh, yeah!"

I chuckled, and the other guys gave us strange looks.

~Scott~

*Bro, what happened earlier?* Brax mind-linked me.

*Yeah, man. Your mate just grew frickin' wings!* Matt linked.

*She's a fallen angel. She was kicked out of Heaven the day that she found me* I replied to Brax and Matt.

*WHAT?!* Matt shouted through the link, that had me wincing and Brax too.

*Awesome, man* Brax chuckled.

*I know right?!*

***

Nina and I strolled through the woods to the cabin in comfortable silence, our hands threaded together and swinging between us.

"I'm sorry about today, Nina. I didn't expect any of this," I said, looking down at my Vans.

"Hey, it's not your fault. They were silly to think that you'd go with them," she said, stepping in front of me, taking my face between her small hands.

"I'd never leave you, Nina. I love you."

"I love you too." She pecked my lips, and we continued walking.

"Have you... have you ever noticed those scars on my back?" I asked quietly.

Her face turned to mine, frowning, as she nodded.

"My father did those."

She gasped, pulling me into her embrace. "Why?" She whispered, on the brim of tears. "Why would a father do that to their child?"

I shrugged, my arms around her small waist. "He was drunk a lot. He drank a lot. Werewolves can't get drunk as easily as humans because our metabolisms are stronger. He was stressed with everything, he couldn't stand it, so he turned to drink. Every so often, he'd come in about three in the morning, when my mother was asleep, and sneak into my room. He loved to gamble, especially on horses. Slow ones at that. He had a riding crop, and used to whip me with it. I never knew why he did it, I still don't, but he loved to see me cry, and bleed."

"Aw, Scott, I'm so sorry," she whimpered, tears rolling down her rosy cheeks.

"No, shh, I'm sorry, Nina. I shouldn't have told you," I said, pulling her into my chest, kissing her tears away.

"No, I'm glad you told me, now I know. Thank you for telling me the truth." She wrapped her arms around my neck, and I lifted her up, carrying her to the cabin. I opened the door with one hand, the other placed around her waist, and walked us into the cabin, kicking the door shut behind me. I sat down on the sofa, placing her down in my lap.

"Did you want to get kicked out of Heaven?" I asked suddenly.

She hesitated, then shrugged. "I knew they were going to do it anyway, so I thought I might as well piss them off whilst I had the chance to."

"Are you able to communicate with anyone?"

She nodded, "we speak to each other's minds. Like your link with the members of the pack. I have spoken to some old friends, but mostly to an angel called Percy. He was like my grandfather figure. When I went to Heaven I was lonely, I knew nobody. Angels forget most about their past lives sometimes, and I did. The worst case they've ever seen apparently. I was wandering about and Angel Percy found me. He took me in and looked after me. Angels may seem all kind, but some are vicious. As I was sent down to Earth, angels can be sent to Hell, where the devil takes over their souls, and sometimes makes them slaves for all eternity."

"Is God real?" I asked.

She shrugged, "maybe. Nobody actually knows. Heaven is ran by angels. Old angels. Not just any angels. They are made into a council. The Grand Council of Nephilim. They were the ones that decided my fate. Angels aren't all forgiving. I really annoyed them, they are not going to accept an apology easily, but it doesn't matter, I don't want to get back into Heaven. I love my life down here."

I smiled and kissed her temple lightly. "How old were you when you... died?"

"I don't know. It was estimated I was around four or five. I was very young." She suddenly frowned. "I had a dream, the night I found you, I was in a field, and I suddenly saw burning coming up from the trees. I ran towards it, and found an old house in the middle of the woods, ablaze. I saw a little boy slumped against a window downstairs, about six or seven, then a young girl, about four banging on the window upstairs. I started towards the house, and was... knocked back. It was like there was a barrier around the house, stopping me from saving the kids. She looked like me. She had my eyes. And... and the same birthmark as me on her hand."

I gently took her right hand in mine, and lifted it up in front of us. I softly traced my thumb over the birthmark under her thumb, then brought it to my lips, laying a light kiss against it.

"Do you think that's how you died?" I asked softly.

She shrugged, "my guess is as good as any of yours, but I think that's our best bet. I must have died in the fire. But who was the boy? What about my parents? If I had any. There's so many questions I want to know the answer to."

"I'll have a look into it, baby."

"Thank you, Scott."