Chapter 7

Marie POV (still)

I changed into the blue nightgown that was on top of a dresser. I had just got a book and started reading in bed when someone knocked on the door and I opened it. Holly stood in a matching nightgown with a smile on her face.

"Can I come in?" She asks.

"Of course." She sits in a red chair by my bed and I sit on the edge of my bed.

"This is so exciting!" Holly says.

"I know! I'm glad I could escape my parents, and that gloomy boarding school." I say keeping my voice down so no one hears.

"So have you seen anyone you're 'interested' in?" She asks and giggles.

"Well.. Uh.." I say blushing.

"C'mon, I won't tell!"

"Fine. Alois. We haven't met anyone else than him and Claude though."

She smiles.

"So that's why you acted so weird around him! I won't tell. I promise." She smiles with a kind expression. I yawn and stretch, my eyelids becoming heavy.

"You look tired. I am too. I'll see you in the morning. Don't forget to get up early to help cook for the young master. it's so fun to say that!" She says and I nod and laugh. She says bye and leaves my room to go to her own. I drift off to sleep.

___________________________

I was awoken by a scream coming from upstairs. It took me a second to remember where I was. I jumped out of bed and ran up the stairs to the room. It was coming from Alois' room. I open the door and walk in. I light a candle to see what was going on. Alois was sitting bolt-up in bed with tears streaming down his face.

"What's wrong?" I whisper walking over to him, Claude, Hanna, and Holly coming into the room as I did so.

"I-I need to talk to Claude. You two can go back to your rooms."

Holly and I bow to him and she leaves quickly. I walk through the halls slowly and stop at a certain painting, illuminated by moonlight. Of a family. Alois' family.

I choke back the tears at the thought of what happened to him and head down to my room.

The second time I entered the room I noticed the gramophone in the corner. I look through the records underneath to find one titled "slightly chipped full moon" I know this one. I put it in and it plays almost silently, I wouldn't want to disturb Alois. I start singing along quietly, and gaze out the window.

The door to my room opens.

"I see you like that song too." Alois says from behind me. My blood freezes in my veins. Fearing that I'm in trouble, I quickly turn around.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb-"

"My mother used to sing this to me." I look up and see that he was holding back tears.

If you want to hear the song you can find it on YouTube just look up "slightly chipped full moon" it's a beautiful song but it's really sad so warning: May cause crying and/or feels.