Chapter twenty two

Marie POV

I sit in bed, gazing out of the large window next to my bed. I sigh as I stare at the stars. I replay the earlier events in my head. I told him. Well, he asked. "Do you love me?" My mind echoed. I love his voice, so innocent. Yet he does carry some kind of malice.

A star shot across the sky. My heart jumped as I realized that he never said that he loved me as well. When I lay my head down on my pillow, I close my eyes and slowly feel my mind grow heavy. Then I fall asleep.

I snap my eyes open. I'm not in my human form. And I am floating by the help of my wings. It is all dark.

"Alois! I can't see!" I strain my eyes. Then it gets a little brighter. Bright enough that I can see Alois ensnared by a spider's web. Like a poor butterfly.

"Get me out!" He shouts. I tear at the webs around his arms. They're sharp and tiny droplets of my blood slide down the strands as the large spider draws closer. I cry as I'm gazing into Alois' sad eyes.

"You can't help me." The spider encases us.

I wake up in a cold sweat and wipe my wet eyes. I turn over. I'm so glad it was a dream. I couldn't bare losing him. Then there is a shout from his room. I bolt upright and sprint down the dark hallway. He's sitting up in bed, shaking.

"What's wrong?" I ask sniffing, still recovering from my own dream.

"A dream. You were there. There was a spider and-"

"I had the same dream." I whisper.

He stays quiet for a second, his eyes puffy as tears stream down his cheeks. I wipe them away.

"It's alright." He holds on to me and sobs into my shoulder.

"Please don't leave me.."

"I wont."

"Can you stay in here tonight?"

"Yes."

He quiets down.

"Sing for me." He murmurs. I do as he says. He falls asleep. I kiss him on the forehead and close my eyes, sitting in the chair next to his bed. Claude walks in. He says nothing and covers me with a blanket. I keep my eyes shut. He looks at Alois and walks out of the room, almost silently closing the door behind him.