Chapter twenty

Marie POV

It's been two days since Holly left. I work around the household, and talk with Hanna often, but it's still not the same.

I walk into Alois' room with a jug of water to refill the vases of flowers. He's gazing out the window, a blue butterfly fluttered on the other side of the glass. I say nothing and fill a vase.

"Marie?" He asks, not looking away from the window.

"Yes?" I turn around, but make sure not to make eye contact.

"Would you open the window and catch the butterfly?" He looks at me hopefully.

"Of course." I slide the window open and the butterfly flutters into the room. I gently catch it and it perches on my index finger.

"You are so kind.." Alois sympathetically smiles at me. I can't tell if he's serious or if this will end badly.

"Put it over here." He motions toward a small birdcage.

I nod and put it into the cage, and before latching the door, set a few flowers in the cage so it can live in the cage for a longer period of time.

"You get work done quietly. I respect that." I turn around and bow.

"Thank you my highness." He steps over toward me and brings his hand up to my hair. And brushes a loose strand behind my ear. I can feel my face grow warm.

"Do you love me?" He asks somewhat commandingly.

"Y-yes. Yes your highness."

Hooray for fluffyness! I'll be transitioning from Marie to Holly frequently. Now it's gonna get more fluffy because I structured a plot to the story!