C h a p t e r 23 - A Sincere Promise

An hour quickly came by and went. When everyone finishes gathering their belongings, we all stand outside the small house and say goodbye to everyone. While giving thanks to both Tazuna and Tsunami, I notice Naruto struggles with his farewell to Inari. They both become emotional with small tears welling up in their eyes. I simply watch and smile at the touching scene, but soon enough we all turn around and begin our travel back to the Leaf Village. Along the way Naruto continuously brings up past events that took place during our mission to Kakashi sensei. Going on about how awesome, intense and scary it was.

'I honestly couldn't agree more, but he speaks as if the mission wasn't risky. Did he forget we almost died?!'

I steadily block the sound of Naruto's voice as my mind floats around the events that took place in the Land of Waves. One thing is for sure, I'll never forget what happened there. Who could? So much happened after all. I gained newly found strength, realized my love for Sasuke, and nearly faced death. Though that's one thing I'll have to get used to. Soon enough we'll be on missions just like this one all the time.

Still keeping to my thoughts, I fail to notice the time that passes by. A few hours pass me and the Village Hidden in the Leaves is finally in sight. Going through the giant gates, Kakashi dismisses us, stating that we've officially completed our mission. Just like that he disappears within a cloud of smoke.

'Guess he's going to report the events of our mission to the hokage.'

Suddenly Naruto shouts in happiness, causing my attention to fall on him.

"I'm glad we're finally back! Besides there's something I've absolutely been craving!" He finishes while staring at the air with stars in his eyes.

"Let me guess, is it Ichiraku ramen?" I question while laughing, already knowing the answer.

Naruto looks surprised at first but then immediately smiles at me.

"How did you know (Name)?!"

"Are you kidding me? It's so obvious, you're too predictable Naruto."

"Well I can't wait any longer. Do you want to come with me?" He offers.

"Uh, I'm gonna have to pass. After everything we've been through, I think it'd be better if I got some rest. Maybe next time, okay?" I finish while walking away.

Giving him a small wave, I walk towards the direction of my apartment, with Sasuke following after me. While leaving behind both Naruto and Sakura, I overhear Naruto asking her if she wants to go to Ichiraku with him. In the distance I hear Sakura sigh before reluctantly agreeing to go. Claiming that she has "nothing better to do."

Sasuke continues to walk beside me but doesn't say anything. I find that weird because we haven't spoken a word to each other since we almost kissed. Now the atmosphere seems a little awkward, but I don't want it to be. So I decide to say something.

"Are you heading home?"

"No" He answers calmly.

"Where are you going?" I ask curiously.

"I'm going to train."

I suddenly stop walking and look at him with a stern expression. He takes notice and stops walking as well.

"Why? You know you shouldn't push yourself, especially after what just happened to you." I say looking directly into his eyes.

Sasuke's gaze softens as he sees the serious look on my face. A small smile appears on his lips while he steps forward, moving closer to me. Sasuke places both his hands on my shoulders before pulling me into a hug. I stand there surprised for a moment, before hugging him back. My arms wrap around his waist and his are placed around my back. I stay in his embrace with my face pressed against his chest.

Inhaling his refreshing scent, I let out a soft sigh. A sudden wave of calmness washes over me and I feel both relaxed and relieved for some reason. There's so much going through my mind, yet it all fades away when I hug Sasuke. A mild breeze flies past us causing my hair to move in the same direction, but we still don't move. The air around us is silent, but Sasuke speaks a moment later.

"I know that already, so don't worry about me." He says in a hushed tone.

"How can I not worry. It seems to be all I can do whenever you're around...I care about you." I admit while tightening my arms around him.

"I understand that, but I have to."

"No you don't!" I say raising my voice a little bit while stepping back in order to look at him. "Is it that important? Is being the best all that matters."

"No, but I do need to be strong enough-"

"Strong enough for what?"

"Strong enough to protect you." Sasuke says, gripping the sides of my shoulders. Looking straight into my widened eyes.

Shocked by his sudden answer I don't immediately respond. I open my mouth but I'm unable to get a word out since Sasuke keeps talking.

"When I took that hit on the bridge, I only survived because you're medical ninjutsu saved me. If you were the one to get hit, I wouldn't have been able to do anything and you most likely would've died."

"...Sasuke-"

"No, let me finish... I came this close to losing you, and it's because I'm not strong enough. I can't let that happen again. I absolutely refuse to lose anyone else I care about. So when you ask me if it's necessary to train, I'll always say yes. I'll train everyday in order to insure that you never get hurt." He finishes, never breaking eye contact.

My eyes slightly begin to water after hearing Sasuke's words. Moving closer, I place my arms around him once again. Bringing him in for another embrace.

'I didn't know he felt so strongly about what happened.'

Once he returns the gesture, we both step back and look at each other.

"Ok then, at least this way we can both promise to train and protect each other, agreed?" I ask while holding his hand.

"Agreed." He answers with a smirk as we continue our walk.

'This is one promise I'll be sure to keep...'