Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

"Come on!" Alicia said urgently, and started running downhill away from the marching. Everybody followed her without hesitation.

                But, the Ganashes were too fast for Willow. After a few stumbles and falls and trips over fallen branches, she had lost them completely. Flaring her hands with power, she urged herself to calm down. Feeling the comforting power in her hands as they ignited with their force. Her powers were nothing extraordinary, just unseen force that can push someone away or slam them in a tree. Her powers were barely ever used, in the UpperWorld you never really needed them. So, it felt weird and unfamiliar the light that came from her hands, but yet, it was comforting because she for sure would never touch those weapons inside her belts.

                Her heart was pounding in her chest and on top of the pounding there was a ringing sound in her ears. She would never be able to hear if the marching was close or not.

                It occurred to her that standing and waiting for the monsters or her group to come to her was a stupid idea. Without knowing which direction to take, she took the one with the least amount of falling branches and shrubs. Running as fast as her feet could take her, she urged herself to breath.

                I can take care of myself, she thought, hoping it was true.

                And that’s when she heard, footsteps behind her. Her lungs were burning, each breath scratching her dry throat. Her feet were already aching and her legs were bad time bending, she really need to get fit. But, despite all this pain, she pushed her limbs to go faster, trying to outrun the footsteps behind her that were coming unbearably close. And when they were right behind her, she didn’t think, just turned around and swung her arm out, aiming for the attackers head. The attacker was faster, and he grabbed her wrist and Willow—who had closed her eyes—opened them, only to see Michael, looking at the hand that had attempted to hit him with amusement.

                Willow gasped in relief, which was painful considering she felt like she was drowning in her own heavy breathing, "I thought you guys left me." She croaked, her voice coming out scratchy and unattractive.

                Michael rolled his eyes and let go of her wrist, "That would miss the point of us protecting you—“

                He stopped in the middle of his sentence and Willow knew why, the marching, it was close enough that at any moment they could come out.

                “Get down!” Michael whispered, grabbing Willow’s waist and yanking he behind a bush. Willow immediately got down on her knees, Michael crouched down next to her, his hand resting on her back sending (despite everything going on) electrical sparks down to her toes. She could hear the monsters now, she could see them through the leaves. There were many of them, breaking thin trees and yanking out plants to pass.

                Willow sucked her breath in and held it, her lungs crying out in pain.       

                The monsters were everything but organized. None of them were even looking at their surroundings, they were just walking. They were so careless that it didn’t make them as scary as she had originally imagine them.

                It took a while, but finally some of the last ones were almost out of view.            

                Willow exhaled the breath she was holding, her lungs seemed deflated and dead. But her exhale was a moment too early; one of the Bolesgire heard it and stopped dead in his tracks.