Chapter 25

Chapter 25:

It had been a week since Willow's visit to the UpperWorld. And tonight it was the ball. 

"Eek!" Alicia said, as Willow reluctantly walked out in her dress. "Look at you! You're so pretty! Look at yourself in the mirror."

Willow slowly turned to the mirror.

The dress was gorgeous.  It was a deep blue, royal blue, and had an A-line fit. It was backless, exposing her shoulders as well.

The back of the dress was the most stunning, though. Hanging from the top was a drape of sheer deep blue lace. It extended down and hooked to Willow's white gloved finger (Willow loved the white gloves, it made the dress look even bluer). The dress was light and flowy as well. It was comfortable. She had never considered herself ugly or pretty of even average. It always depended on the day. Some days she felt as if she was the ugliest person in the world, and other days she thought that she looked really good. This dress made her feel more than she looked really good, it made her feel gorgeous and royal-like.

Willow's hair was done up in sparkling pins from the Elves and Alicia had stolen some makeup from the UpperWorld and put a generous amount of eyeliner, making her eyes shine brighter than usual.

For the first time ever, she thought maybe the ball wouldn't be such a disaster after all.

* * * * * * * * * * 

Michael had joked about his good looks earlier, but Willow couldn't help but admit that the suit he was wearing made him look quite good. The entire suit was pitch black, making his golden hair and eyes stand out clearly. It fit his body tightly, and instead of the boring dress pants, he wore regular black denim jeans. He didn't wear a tie, which made him look much younger. 

He looked much more than 'quite good', but Willow couldn't find a strong enough adjective to match it.

Willow on the other hand, had already tripped twice in her heels. So, Alicia had decided to change from her five-inch heels, to just plain silver flats. She was not a clumsy person in general, but this was probably one of the first time she had ever worn such tall high heels. 

Alicia wore a purple dress, it fit her body tightly and was covered in gems. She was so pretty, Willow wondered what the point of dressing up was if Alicia was too. Her hair was down,  and had a few gems in it. She had little makeup, just eyeliner like Willow.

Chelsea wore a light, flowy and plain yellow dress. 

Willow came out with her blue dress, and Alicia had gushed about how beautiful she looked. Well, Willow didn't know if she was talking about her, or the dress. Chelsea had smiled and said that she looked very pretty and Chris had given her a pat to the shoulder and had said, "You survived Alicia, congrats." Michael had looked at her for a moment, then had turned abruptly away; she didn't know whether that was a good thing or not.

"Alright, let's go, or we'll be late." Alicia said, and threw a portal to the ground and walked through without hesitation.

Then, Michael went in and Chelsea and then Chris turned to her, “The balls aren't as bad as you may think they are, don't worry.”

Willow smiled, “Thanks.” Even though it was just a few words, it comforted her. She wiped her sweaty palms on her hips and walked through. 

In second she could feel a smooth marble floor underneath her. She looked up, they had arrived in a large hallway that could probably fit more than a thousand people in it. It looked basically the same as RiverPlain, medieval with brick walls and dimly lit with candles and chandeliers.