Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

"What happened?" Chelsea asked a group of Ganashes near the ashes of the Headquarter. The Headquarter was a pile of rubble, the wind sifting the ashes. It almost made Chelsea sad looking at it; there were still pieces of charred furniture standing. She couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like if RiverPlain would to burn...it was her home.

One of the Ganashes turned to the her, he had an angry red burn on the side of his face. The skin peeled from it revealing the bright red flesh underneath. Half of his hair was gone, burned away. "Was just randomly attacked. The wards were disabled, and a horde of Bolesgire came charging in. Then followed by Carevevs and then some Elves. Can you believe it, Elves?" He said in disgust. Ganashes and Elves had always been band together. It was odd to see them attack. But, as she had told Michael, they were probably not part of the Elvish kingdom, probably just Machire's workers.

She nodded in agreement, "It is odd, I don't remember them holding a grudge against us. Is nine the final death count?"

The man shook his head, "Three more died in the flames. FerLands isn't near a body of water, the aqueduct was sabotaged, so it took a while to get water. By the time we had our portals and transported back here, the place was gone! In total, fifteen injured and twelve dead.”

Michael furrowed his eyebrows, "You said they stole all the portals in here. Why do you think they did it?" He didn't seem to like the fact that they stole the portals, Chelsea didn't like it either. She felt like there was a massive scheme behind it all, like all of Machire's attacks had. What worried her is the fact that a nagging feeling told her that stealing the portals had to something with Willow. If Ganashes didn't have portals, they would have to walk through the UnderWorld, which can be suicidal in a lot of cases.

The man shrugged, "We don't know. A panic fire message was sent to CarvesWay, it said that the portals were gone, but nothing more. The attackers all disappeared before we could trap one and interrogate it."

"Maybe they didn't want the people to escape?" Chris replied, he looked thoughtful and sad. His eyes shifting back and forth nervously from the man to the Headquarter that was just ashes. He was probably thinking the same thing she had, what if that was RiverPlain?

"No," The man shook his head again. "They would have killed a lot more if they were after death. We believe they were after the portals themselves."

"Why would they want the portals?" Michael asked. Portals couldn't be used by anyone but Ganashes. Of course, Kopors and Faery creatures from the UpperWorld were allowed to use them. Maybe Machire wants the portals to himself...it would make sense.

"We don't know." A girl said, walking up to them. She looked to be seventeen, with waist length dark hair. She seemed completely unharmed, but Chelsea couldn't be sure whether she lived at this Headquarter or not. She was what someone would say beautiful. All sharp angles and planes. Her cheekbones were prominent, casting shadows on her face. Her eyes were a light blue with specks of dark in them, they were fringed with long, dark eyelashes. As she approached, she examined Michael from head to toe approvingly. Michael ignored her as she smiled at him. Ah, Chelsea thought to herself. She's one those girls.

Any Ganash willing to hit on Michael was a slut. All Ganashes knew he was bound, and all the girls who wanted him didn't love him or crush on him—it would be much too risky—they just wanted him in a bed. Michael, though, was not a man whore. He would probably still be virgin if it weren't for the legend. He was a gentleman in and out. Which was probably why Willow liked him so much—well, that and the fact that he was madly in love with her. Willow, though, had no idea about the legend. Chelsea began to wonder how she would take it.