IN TIMES OF DARKNESS

Early in the morning on Monday, July 5th Dell and I were laying in the bed. We had gotten home early that morning from our vacation and he was browsing a social media site when he said "awe shit, my boy coming to town for the week". I looked at him and asked which friend was he referring too. He said "Meechie". Dell and Demetrius were best friends when they were younger, they were practically brothers. Meechie is 2 years older than Dell, he was like the big brother that Dell never had. Demetrius lived 3 hours away from us then. Dell explained to me that although they didn't talk as much since he moved away, people knew if Meechie was in town that they'd be together. Dell started preparing to go to his parents house because he had to help his dad with some chores.

"I'm going to bring Meechie here later so you two can meet".

I told him that was fine. I had plans to stay home that day. I was cramping and I didn't feel like being bothered with the world. As he was leaving the house he kissed my neck.

"Baby if you need something, call me" he instructed.

"Sure thing sexy" I replied.

I called Dell in the early afternoon and I asked him to bring me some ice cream and a cheeseburger. He enthusiastically said "Meechie made it to town, I will bring him to the house. I should be there shortly". I put on some decent clothes I wanted to make a good impression. I surely looked like shit in his gym shorts and t-shirt. I put on a white and purple Nike tank top, some purple shorts and some Nike slides, anything was better than men's gym shorts. Forty-five minutes later Cordell and Demetrius walked through the front door. Dell handed me the food I asked for. Meechie walked to me and gave me a hug. Meechie turned to Cordell and said "you've got a winner" so I said "thank you" and Dell smacked my ass and said, "I know". Meechie ordered Dell to treat me right and he said "or I'm taking her from you like I did that one chick". I looked carefully at Meechie and he was very good looking. He stood at 6'1 with onyx toned skin, beautiful piano white teeth and he had the body of a track star. He wasn't as fine as Dell but for someone so young he looked damn good. I asked myself "where did all of these fine young men come from?" Don't get me wrong Xavier Sr. was good looking when we were young but he didn't have muscles or a body like Dell at that age, not even when he got older. Dell said, "baby, he has taken so many girls from their boyfriends it should be considered a crime". Meechie said "remember that girl Amanda? Her boyfriend still sends me death threats" then they started laughing. Cordell told Meechie "Carol is off limits boy; I'll beat your ass over my baby". Demetrius looked at me and said, "I don't blame you". Dell showed Meechie around the house and when they were done Dell asked "baby you want to hang with us?". I looked at Meechie and said "Demetrius, we can definitely hang out before you head home but right now is not a good time" then I placed my hand on my stomach and Meechie said "I understand, my girl has periods too" and we both laughed. Dell let me know that he was going to get back late. Before they left out of the front door Meechie blew me a kiss and he humorously said to me, "call me". They both laughed as they left. I walked to the window and looked outside. Meechie was driving a classic grape colored Dodge Challenger, and I thought to myself he must've been a rapper too.

I laid on the couch looking at TV not really doing much because my stomach was killing me and medicine wasn't working. It must've been 6 o'clock in the evening when Dell called my phone.

"Hey sexy" I excitedly said.

"CAROL, I NEED YOU BABY. I NEED YOU TO COME TO ST. JOHNS HOSPITAL RIGHT NOW. IM IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM. I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT. HURRY UP" his words were sharp as knives.

I hung up the phone and grabbed my keys. I called Pop from my truck and told him that Dell was in the hospital and he should meet me there. My mind was racing and I pleaded with the lord to keep Cordell safe. I knew I wouldn't know how to handle losing him. I kept calling his phone but it kept going straight to voicemail which only made me more stressed out.