Chapter 2: Rowan

The ship heading for the Southern Continent departed early the next day. Manon and her thirteen flew a bit ahead of the ship, keeping watch and enjoying the weather that was perfect for flying. Rowan itched to shift into his hawk form and join them in the sky; it had been several weeks since he had flown. His thoughts of flying halted when he spotted Aelin, his MATE, stalking into their cabin and slamming the door behind her. It still amazed Rowan sometimes that his queen was his mate. He scowled at t5he thought of every terrible thing Maeve had done to keep him from finding Aelin, his fireheart. His anger dissolved into worry when he entered the cabin and saw Aelin sitting at the table, her head in her hands. He came up and sat down next to her, his hands finding hers and gently pulling them away from her face so he could see the bleakness there. She looked up at him beseechingly. "We will reach the Southern Continent in two days thanks to the enchantments on the ship." Rowan nodded, he had reached the same conclusion. "How can we enter into another war when we are in the middle of our own back home? How can we know if these "other fae" will even accept our help, let alone come help us in return? We have NO IDEA what the situation is or who the main players are," Aelin sighed wearily.

    "It's true that we don't have much information on the situation we are heading into, but if we have the chance to win more powerful allies, then it could just mean the difference between winning and losing the war against Erawan. We will be fine," Rowan said quietly, stroking the back of her hand with his thumb.

    Aelin sighed again, "I know," she smiled tiredly at him and leaned in to give him a quick kiss before she stood up to head back out to the deck. Rowan grabbed her wrist and she looked back at him, her mask of confidence already back up on her face. Rowan looked up at his beautiful wife and mate, "I love you," he said gently and her eyes softened as she whispered, "I love you too," and walked out of the cabin leaving Rowan sitting at the table contemplating the mysteries that awaited them in this new land that they were headed towards. After a while he got up and left the cabin. As soon as he reached the deck he shifted in a flash of light into a hawk and soared into the air, his thoughts clearing as he looked at the vast ocean, wondering what was coming and how on earth he was to ever keep everyone safe. Because he knew, he just knew that if Aelin lost someone else, any one of her court that had been forged through blood and misery and pain, she might never come back from it.