Chapter 16: Cassian

Cassian finished dressing for dinner, keeping his weapons with him just in case. He walked out of his rooms and strolled over to where the rest of his friends were standing, waiting for the foreign court to arrive. "Stay alert, we don't want any surprises tonight," Rhysand said, "we don't really know anything about these people or what they might do so let's just all be on our guard."

Cassian nodded in agreement and watched the rest of his court do the same.

"Most of them appear to be fae but there seems to be significant differences between us. I would like to fully discover what those differences are," Rhysand explained and Cassian agreed. They needed to find out everything they could about the mysterious visitors so that if it came to it they could defeat them if they ever turned on them.

The attention of the room shifted as the Court of Terrasen exited from their many rooms. " I assume that's everyone?" Rhysand said, amused, and the queen nodded. "Let's eat then," Rhysand said and turned to lead them to the dining room. Cassian fell in at the back of the group and began following behind them then he stopped short, eyes wide with shock. The queen-Aelin-was wearing a backless gown and Cassian could see every inch of her back, the elegant tattoos and the horrific scars they covered. They were from a whip, Cassian realized, and not just once, no. Those scars were the results of many, MANY whippings. The queen turned her head, as if sensing his stare. She realized where he had been looking and their eyes met. Pain flickered in her eyes and she rubbed at her wrists unconsciously where Cassian could just make out white scars that circled her wrists where shackles had once rested.

As quickly as the queen's pain had appeared however it was gone and in her eyes Cassian could see the kind of steel only possessed by those that had been to hell and back. He had seen that same steel many times in the eyes of his court, his family, and he found a new respect for the young queen. She raised an eyebrow at him then turned and continued on with the rest of her court, the moment broken. Azriel looked over at Cassian, his eyes questioning. Cassian nodded at him and gave him a grim smile. This evening was going to be a hell of a ride.

I'm really sorry it's been SO long since I last updated. I have more chapters written I just need to type them up and post them but that takes time and effort and I would really appreciate some support. I love reading all the comments you leave and seeing all the support for this story. My venmo is @morganclark008 if anyone feels like supporting financially as well as emotionally. Even $1 would mean a LOT to me.

Love you guys ❤️❤️

Morgan