Chapter 5: Tamlin

As soon as they got out of earshot Lucien asked, "Have you ever even heard of Terrasen? It's not a country on the Main Continent."

"No, it' s not on the Main Continent. It is part of the lands beyond it. That is all I know; that land has been shrouded in mystery for many centuries. It is interesting though that they chose now to come visit our lands , right as Prythian is on the brink of war with the King of Hybern," Tamlin mused and Lucien nodded his agreement. Why would they choose to come now of all times? "I am interested to learn more about our mysterious visitors," Tamlin said and walked back to the gate to accept the queen's request. As she came into his sight he was again struck by how young she looked, she couldn't have been more than 20 years old. But despite her age she carried herself with a certain power and arrogance that clearly designated her as the leader. bUt Tamlin did have to admit that her court appeared to be an elite group of very powerful individuals, even judging just from their appearances and the way Tamlin had seen them move as they approached. He reached the gates and Aelin Galathynius looked up from the conversation she appeared to be having with the giant white leopard standing by her side. Interesting. "You may stay here until the High Lords can be gathered. They tend to be very suspicious of each other so it might take some persuasion to convince them all to agree to come here on such short notice," Tamlin explained. "I would like to atleast know the names of the people that I am inviting into my house at the very least," he said with a wry smile, hiding his curiosity about the full extent of her court.

The young queen nodded and stepped to the side to allow Tamlin full view of the group of people standing behind her. The first to step forward was a large man, blonde-haired and heavily muscled, a couple years older than the queen. He bore a startling resemblance to the queen and one other member of the group: an older male standing quietly near the back of the group observing the events with an expressionless face. The younger male in front of Tamlin bowed slightly as Aelin introduced him as "Aedion Ashryver, General of Terrasen and my cousin." That explains the resemblance. Aedion straightened and walked over to stand by his queen's side, a shred of ire flickering in his eyes at needing to bow down to anyone. The next to step forward was the leopard. "Lysandra, Lady of Terrasen." Tamlin looked to the queen and then back to the leopard quizically; he watched in surprise as the giant white cat shifted into a beautiful woman with long dark hair and the same bright green eyes as the leopard form she had previously been occupying. She inclined her head, a sly smile on her lips at the astounded expressions on Tamlin and Lucien's faces. Then Aelin announced the next member of her court, "Lord Gavriel," and the male stepped forward, his controlled movements and impressive bulk identifying him as a powerful warrior. Lord Aedion's father, Tamlin guessed, and the oldest of the group, judging gy the age evident in his eyes. This was a male that had lived perhaps much longer than even Tamlin and had seen and done many things, bith terrible and good.

The next to step forward was perhaps the largest High Fae male that Tamlin had ever seen. He was a hulking mass of muscle, everything about his countenance promising suffering and death to anyone that chose to cross him. He stood watching Tamlin calculatingly as the queen said, "The Lord Lorcan," and he stalked over to stand beside a beautiful human women. Human with a hint of something else, something ancient and staggeringly powerful, Tamlin realized as she stepped closer, allowing her scent to reach him. "The Lady Elide of Perranth." Lady Elide dipped into a shallow curtsy and walked back over to stand next to Lorcan, the death on his face fading a bit as his eyes fell upon her. Tamlin filed that away in his memory to contemplate later, along with everything else he had noticed since they arrived. His attention turned to a young man with dark hair and shockingly blue eyes, an air of regality and power around him as he stepped forward but did not bow. "King Dorian of Adarlan, ally of Terrasen," Aelin said with a quick glance at the young man, looking to see if the second piece of her introduction was acceptable. His head nodded almost imperceptibly and the queen smiled slightly. One of the two people left to be introduced stepped forward and Tamlin stiffened visibly. It was a woman with white hair and golden eyes, stunningly beautiful; but that wasn't what had made both him and Lucien react so noticeably. The woman standing before them had long iron nails, and fangs, Tamlin winced as the woman grinned at him wickedly, like a predator contemplating her prey. Her iron nails and teeth glinted in the sunlight.

"Manon Blackbeak, Heir to the Blackbeak coven and the last crochan queen." Manon winked and smiled again at what must have been some private joke between her and the queen and prowled over to stand next to the King of Adarlan. The last person to be introduced was another giant male. He grinned sardonically and dropped into a mocking curtsy as the queen, scowling, said "Lord Fenrys," and he straightened and sauntered over to stand in the impressive group of people.

"If that is everyone then..." Tamlin trailed off as the queen shook her head mirthfully and looked expectantly up at the sky. A faint smile curving across her lips. A second later a hawk shot down from the sky and disappeared in a flash of light just feet from the ground and in its place was the most pure-blooded warrior he had ever seen. He was powerfully built with short silver hair and a flowing black tattoo stark against the tan skin of his face. He stood next to the queen, closer to her than the rest of her court.

"Rowan Whitehorn, King of Terrasen," the queen edged closer to the male, their sides touching. Mates, Tamlin realized as he smelled their intertwined scents.

"Now is that everyone?" Tamlin asked with a hint of sarcasm.

"Yes, that is everyone," the young queen said with a razor-edged smile and Tamlin turned, leading the queen and her court into the waiting entrance of his manor, the doors swinging shut behind them.