Chapter 9: Aelin

It was the morning of the day the high lords were meeting and Aelin was sitting down at the vanity in her and Rowan's room. She was trying to pick what to wear but her nerves about the meeting later were severely crippling her sense of style. Rowan was trying to comfort her but it was working too slowly for her liking. "What if none of them decide to accept our help?" Aelin queried.

"Aelin," Rowan said gently.

"What if they decide we're too much of a threat and they attack?"

"Aelin!" Rowan shouted laughingly. "We're going to be fine," and Rowan stood from where he was sitting on the edge of the bed and hugged Aelin tightly to his chest, stroking his hand down the scars on her back, lovingly covered in his scrolling tattoo. Aelin breathed deeply; "I know," she sighed and allowed Rowan to hold her for another minute before pulling away so she could dress. After a minute of contemplation she pulled a couple of dresses out of her closet and set them down on the bed next to Rowan.

"I want to look beautiful, obviously, but I also want to look dangerous, like I could burn the world to the ground on a whim, which I can of course but that's not the point," Aelin explained, frowning at the dresses laid out on the bed.

Rowan chuckled. "Too bad that black dress you wore to that dinner with Arobynn was burned; they all would've pissed themselves as soon as you strutted into the room." Aelin barked a laugh, only wincing slightly at the mention of her old master.

"Bastard," she muttered under her breath, a wry grin still curving her lips upward. She reached to grab the dress that she decided on. It was an emerald green velvet gown, floor length with a high neck and long tight sleeves. It cascaded down her body like a waterfall, hugging her curves in all the right places. It covered her skin in a delicious silky coolness that caused her to shudder as it moved across her body when she glided over to where Rowan was standing. She sat down on the seat in front of the vanity by which Rowan was standing in one smooth movement, her gown pooling like water at her feet. She braided her golden locks into a crown circling her head, lined her eyes with kohl and painted her lips a deep berry red that looked almost like blood. She wanted to be admired by the high lords but she didn't want to be underestimated; she wanted them to see the damage that she could do, either for them or against them. That was one of the reasons she had chosen the dress with the open back, so her scars would be on full display . She wondered if any of the other Fae would be able to read the black tattoo that flowed its way down her back. "I'm ready," she said, standing and turning towards Rowan. She could see his pupils widen slightly and she smirked. "Later," she said seductively, kissing him quickly then turning and leaving the room, his low growl rumbling after her.