The Very Beginning

"I've never forgotten him. Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart. I still cannot understand how he could abandon me so unceremoniously, without any sort of goodbye, without looking back even once. The pain is like an axe that chops my heart."
-Yann Martel

Chapter 12

I pull into his driveway, my nerves finally kicking in. Shakily I step out of my car and I see him waiting by his Jeep. "Ready to go?" he asks. I simply nod and in a trance I walk over to his Jeep as he opens the door for me. I clamber in and clumsily fasten my seatbelt. He switches the radio to country and we both immediately start singing along to every song until we pull up into the IHOP parking lot.

I just finish undoing my seatbelt and grabbing my wallet when he's already at my door, opening it for me, such a gentleman. Shooting him an Oscar winning smile, I saunter past him and into IHOP. The old lady working at the waitress stand shows us to our seats next to the window. I place my order of chocolate chip buttermilk pancakes and he places his order of pancakes, eggs, bacon, and hash browns.

Conversation flows easily off of both of our lips as we wait for the food. He was easy to talk to, I felt like myself around him. Everything just seemed easier around him, even breathing seemed easier around him.

Taking a sip of my hot chocolate, I get whip cream all over my nose, perfect impression on a first date, not! He just laughs and puts some on his nose, too, causing me to laugh. After finishing our food, and him paying the bill, I did mention he was a gentleman right(?), we get up and head back to his Jeep.

The ride back to his house was easy and fun. He jokes around about how for my birthday he was going to take all the tires off of my car at school. I beg and plead him not to, but he just acts like he doesn't hear me.

Arriving back at his house we mess around in the kitchen. Not in that way you dirty minded people! But as in I threaten to flush his fish down the toilet and drop his phone into the glass full of water to see if it's actually waterproof and he attempts to tackle me onto the floor kind of way. Seeing the time, and seeing how we both have tons of homework, I start to head out. He follows me, "What? No hug? Fine I'm just gonna stand here and pout till I get one," he stands in his door frame with a pouty face and arms crossed. A smirk comes across my face and I run over to him and tackle him into a ginormous hug that lands us both on the floor. Well, he's on his back on the floor and I'm on top of him. I look into his eyes, should I kiss him?

I jolt awake from my dream. I didn't think dreams could be about something that had already happened. Leaning back into my bed, I replay the scene from my dream over and over again. It was the scene from my first date with Matt ever. Tears form in my eyes and I bite my lip to keep them from falling down my face. Why was it coming up now, after I had finally said 'yes' to being Nick's girlfriend only hours ago? What have I done?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, so sorry for the last two chapters being really short, I promise the next one will be much longer! In the meantime check out some of my other books! I'll try to update again soon!