The Day of Surprises

It's the middle of spring. As the bluenette walks back to the parlor after taking a cigarette break, Rachel looks at her.

'What?' she smiles 'Wanna tell me something?'
'I really should'
'I'm done for today' she sits on the counter 'Spit it out'
'It's been a while... Wanna meet my girlfriend today? I know it's Friday and all, but... she could drop in tonight'
'Why the fuck not?' she shrugs smiling 'I'll call Max. She's finished for today and must be home by now'
'Sure'

The bluenette looks at the blonde before calling her girlfriend.

'You okay, Rach? You seem worried'
'I'm just... I really love this girl, I guess, C. And your opinion matters. Of course I'm worried'
'Well, stop worrying. Everything's gonna be smooth'
'Promise?' she looks up to her.
'Hella yeah' she giggles as she pats her head 'Don't worry, Rach' she smiles as she puts her phone to her ear.
'I over worried this. I hope'
'I'm sure'
'Chloe?' the brunette asks on the other end of the line.
'Hey babe. Do we have anything planned for tonight?'
'Nothing but lazing around. Why? Do you want to go out?'
'Nah. Wanna meet Rachel's girlfriend? We could have some fun tonight'
'Yeah. It sounds good'
'Hey, are you okay?'
'It's just... School'
'Hey, ease up' she jumps off of the counter and takes a few steps 'I'm with you'
'I know, I know' she sighs.
'I'm going home soon, I promise. I'm just... I have to get your surprise ready' she smiles.
'A surprise?'
'I've been planning it for a while. Just be surprised'
'Chloe... I don't feel so well. When are you coming?'
'Two hours, tops'
'Okay' she sighs.
'I'll do my best, I promise, baby'
'I can't do this anymore...'
'What?' her eyes widen.
'College. It's too much for me. Or maybe I'm not enough, I'm just...'
'Hey, hey, hold on, baby. I'm coming soon, I promise'
'Will you hold me tight?'
'The tightest'
'Just don't let me go'
'Never.'
'Just... love me'
''til my very last breath'
'I'm a mess'
'You're my world'
'Your world is a fucking mess!' she sniffles.
'But it's still my world. I have to take good care of it. And I will'
'I'll let you go now. The sooner you finish the sooner you're coming, right?'
'Yeah' she smiles softly 'Hang on Max'
'I... will'
'I'll hurry, wifey'
'Wifey?' she giggles.
'Don't you like it?'
'I do. Hurry home, okay?'
'I will. Love you, Max.'
'I love you, too'

The punk hungs up and breathes a sigh. Rachel looks at her as she updates the white board.

'You okay, C?'
'Worried. She's about to collapse'
'College?'
'Yeah'
'Shall we skip tonight?'
'She'll be fine by the time you're coming' she smiles 'Don't worry'
'Guess she needs you more than ever'
'I'm doing my best'
'I know. Hurry now' she smiles.
The bluenette knocks on Matt's door then steps in.
'Sorry boss, but can we...'
'I'm one step ahead of you' he winks as he shows up the stencil.
'Hella cool' she puts off her top and lies down.
'You won't even check where I put the stencil?'
'I trust you Matt'
'Are you in a hurry?'
'I'm...'
'Max?'
'Yeah'
'Are you two...' he glances at Chloe as he places the stencil 'doing okay?'
'It's not about us. It's about college. I think I have to...'
'Spend more time with her?'
'I love working here. I don't wanna lose this job, Matt'
'She needs you. But you know, if you work less, you earn less'
'I earn enough by the designs, I guess'
'Yeah, your designs are hot' he grabs the tattoo gun.
'Matt... What should I do? My life is...'
'She is your life. Listen, I'll work as fast as I can, okay? She needs you now. Kinda the same happened to us years ago'
'How did you survive?'
'You know, Amy is a teacher. You know, in pre-elementary. University... God, it was a torture for her. I worked with Darren back then. I had to ask lots of favors of him but I knew I had to take care of my girlfriend. Back in the days, Darren was nothing like this'
'You mean... an arrogant, insensitive, heartless asshole?'
'Kinda' he sighs 'He understood that she was my number one priority. I spent as much time with her as I could. I always took her to university and picked her up when she finished for the day. I watched her slowly drowning. But when she finished and got her first job...'
'Was she better?'
'Much better. She loves kids' he smiles 'The light in her eyes... She was alive again. And she was so grateful. One day when she finished with work she came here. I was designing something I can't even remember. She didn't care. She just sat in my lap and kissed me. I was so surprised! I didn't understand anything. She smiled as she said: "I'd be nowhere without you. I'd be nothing without you. Thank you for your patience and constant love. I love you".'
'That's so sweet!'
'Yeah. We had to go through lots too, you know? Don't give up on her as long as you love her. You love her for a reason'
'Yeah. She's... wonderful, you know?'
'I know. And you two make a great couple. Everyone who knows you so jealous of your relationship, Chloe'
'For reals?
'For reals. Listen, I wanna ask you something important'
'Ask, dude'
'Do you have plans for the future? I mean, of course you have... but what are your plans?'
'I... don't really know. We may move when she finishes college. She's a photographer, she's gonna travel the world and the seven seas...'
'And you wanna be with her'
''til the very end' she nods 'We may move to a bigger city like New York or Los Angeles. I don't really know yet. I just want her to get through this'
'Ready for coloring?'
'You work fast' she smiles 'Yeah'
'You have to be by her side, Chloe'
'I am!'
'You can always work less, you know that. But you're doing a great job here, people love your work, they actually ask especially for you! You can be proud. But you can do the same I did. You know. Drop her off in the morning and pick her up when she finishes. Every single day'
'So you wouldn't mind?'
'No. You love her. You two are so sweet together when I see you I'm afraid I'm about to get a sugar rush. Be with her. She needs you'
'I know' she sighs 'I wanna be with her'
'And you will be' he sighs 'The thing is... I asked you about your future plans because... We want to start the baby project soon. Darren's getting unpredictable. Irresponsible. I think he's not over Rachel'
'Well, she's over him'
'I know. But I can't be sure he would be able to handle management alone'
'Wait... don't tell me you want me to...'
'Chloe... You're a great artist and I can see that you've learned responsibility. And I'd need someone like you when I'm not around. Darren can't hold on long. We used to be real good friends. He even avoids me recently. And the two of you... Dammit'
'I know'
'We need to talk to him. The sooner the better'
'If I must' she sighs.
'But well... we want a baby. And I want to be by my wife, you know? And when the baby's born I wanna spend a lot of time with my family'
'I understand that. Matt, is it much different? I mean... to be married'
'You won't use the same words anymore, like "my girl", "my girlfriend", "my chick", anything like this. But you can say: "my beautiful wife". It has a weigh. Like it's such a beautiful thing. You know you married her for a reason. And there will be though days when you just want to cry after a long day of work and you arrive home. And there she will be. Your beautiful wife, waiting for you. And you just forget about that horrible day. You see her and forget the sadness and the trouble. You just hug her tight, kiss her on the lips and she looks at you and you fall in love with her over and over again. And you know what you work for'
'Wow'
'I know. You just can't wait, huh?'
'Yeah. I wanna see her in a beautiful white dress, listening to her vows, looking at me, saying: "I do". Seeing how happy she is all I wish for'
'How romantic you are!' he grins.
'And who's talking?' she grins back 'She's my number one priority. She and her happiness'
'You're a good person, Chloe. Okay, we're done, check it out!'
'You're even faster than me!' she laughs as she walks to the mirror 'Masterpiece! Thanks, boss!'
'Chloe, take good care of her. She makes you happy'
'Happier than anything and anybody else'
'Now' he throws her top at her 'Go! I don't wanna see you until Monday!' he grins.
'Thanks, Matt' she puts on her top 'On Monday!'

She rushes out and gets her stuff fast. As she puts on her leather jacket she steps to the counter.

'So see you later, Rach?'
'Sure. But is Max okay?'
'She'll be. Gotta jet, but later then!'
'Laters!'

The bluenette drives home. She opens the door, puts down her backpack, takes off her jacket. She walks to the living room. The photographer is curled up on the sofa, she's sleeping, breathing slowly. The punk kneels in front of her and kisses her on the cheek.

'I'm here, baby'
'Hey, Chloe' she mumbles 'Would you hug me tight?'
'Sure' she holds the brunette.
'No, no, please. Lie behind me. Hug me very tight'
'Whatever you want' she takes her place and kisses her neck gently.
'My mother called me'
'Really? What did she say?'
'She said... she'll try. And invited us for dinner. Next Saturday'
'We're going, right?'
'We should'
'Come on, Max!'
'I'm breaking... I'm about to break down'
'Break down. It's okay'
'I don't want to do this' she sniffles 'It's much harder than I have ever expected'
'It's okay, baby'
'I... I'd need you more. I know I'm a selfish asshole, but I need more time with you. To look after me. To... take care of me when I feel hopeless'
'I'll be here, I promise. From Monday I'm gonna work less. I'm gonna follow your schedule, Max. I'm gonna take you to school and pick you up every single day'
'What about your job?'
'Matt's okay with this. He actually gave me a rant about this. They did the same and they are fine. We're also gonna be fine. I get most of the money of my designs by the way. So don't worry. We'll be fine. I'm with you'
'You're the best' she faces her 'I love you so much' she kisses her on the lips.
'I love you too, wifey'
'Not yet' she giggles.
'But soon' she brushes the tears from the brunette's face.
'You make me so happy'
'I hope so. But hey, pull yourself together. Rachel and her girlfriend must be on the way already'
'Okay, okay' she sits up and yawns 'So...'
'So?'
'Where's my surprise?'
'Here' she shows her tattoo smiling.
'I love you so much' she kisses her gently, holding onto her tight.
'I love you, too'
'You're going to be the best wife in the world'
'Max... Matt wanted me to be part of the management. They're getting on the baby project soon'
'Wowser... Did you say yes? Please tell me you did!'
'Max, I couldn't' she shakes her head with a sigh 'I can't tie myself down here. I wanna travel the world with you'
'I knew it! I hold you down! Chloe, I don't want to hold you down, take it, it's a great opportunity, please take his offer!' she looks at her with tearful eyes.
'You're not holding me down. Travelling the world has been our plan ever since we were kids, remember?'
'But Chloe, this is your dream... I'm just ruining your life...'
'You make me complete. You're my number one priority. When you finish college we move. I don't even care where. You'll be the best photographer and I'll open my own parlor. And we'll be fine'
'And have kids?'
'Yeah' she smiles.
'I kinda hate you'
'Why?'
'Because you're so perfect for me'
'I'd do anything for you'
'That's it. I love you'
'Love you, too' she kisses her softly.

They hear the door open and close then Rachel shouts in.

'Guys? I just wanna be sure we're not interrupting... Anything...'
'You're such a bitch!' Chloe laughs 'You're not interrupting anything, come in already!'

The brunette's eyes widen as she recognizes her course mate. Her lips shape a smile slowly.

'You could've told me'

'We weren't sure' the blondie shrugs, staring at the ground.
'You remember Chloe, right?'
'Of course I do' the girl smiles 'So... aren't you upset about it?'
'Should I be?'
'No, no...' she sits down slowly 'It's just like, we kept it a secret for quite a while'
'It's okay. I'm actually happy for you guys. Now, tell me the story, come on!'
'We met on a party' Rachel scratches her neck 'Not much after Darren dumped me, you know'
'She was like, wow' the black-haired girl takes on 'All the eyes were on her, but I saw in her eyes she's totally out of it. She didn't know what she was doing there'
'Kinda' she giggles 'Who threw that party anyway, and why was I there?'
'I can't even remember his name. I guess he invited you because you're so hot...'
'Stop it!' she blushes.
'Anyway, she was just standing at the other side of the room with a beer. Some guys tried to get her, but nah, she didn't give in'
'I wasn't that desperate, nor that drunk'
'Then I walked up to her'
'I just knew I met her before, but I couldn't remember where and when'
'Me neither. So we decided we call it destiny. We talked the night away and well, started dating soon'
'I didn't even know you're...' Max starts.
'I'm not. I'm actually pansexual'
'Come on, I want to know the details, wowser, I'm so pumped, like... Did you say "I love you" already? Who said it first? The best date you had?'

Rachel and Layla exchanges a look, giggles then continue their story. The bluenette softly caresses Max's back. They can forget about the problems for the day.