Six

We ran cross the bride and moved aside when an ostrich came near us. Why is there an ostrich? You know what, never mind. Today has been crazy enough as is. If I see flying monkey's around here, I wouldn't be surprised.

Newt grabbed something from his coat before handing some helmets to Jacob and me. "Put this on."

"Why?" I asked as I looked at the helmet.

"Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force." Right, because that makes perfect sense. We heard a little growl. Newt didn't give us another glance before running towards the zoo.

Jacob and I exchanged looks before running after him. I placed the helmet on my head, I feel silly enough as it is, when we stopped at the entrance. A huge chunk of the wall was missing as if something ran through it.

Newt placed his case down. "Right." He grabbed something from his coat before putting the leather-like vest on Jacob. "Okay, if you just, pop this on." After he was done fastening his, he grabbed another one and moved in front of me.  He placed it over my head and his hand froze at the front latch. He gave me a nervous glance. "May I?"

I nodded. "Of course."

He started to tighten the latches while I held my breath. My face started to warm up when I could feel his breath on me. "Okay. Now, there's absolutely nothing for you to worry about," He said.

Jacob furrowed his eyebrows. "Tell me, has anyone ever believed you when you told them not to worry?"

I grunted when Newt tightened the last latch before letting go. "My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice." He grabbed his case again before running inside. He stopped. "She's in season. She needs to mate."

I looked over his shoulder and my eyes widen. There was this hippo cornered by this giant rhino/elephant-like creature. Where the horn is, there was a pink lump that grew brighter and brighter.

Newt grabbed a vile from his pocket before pouring some on his wrist. "Erumpent musk, she is mad for it," He explained.

He handed Jacob the vile before walking behind the creature. Jacob took a whiff of it before scrunching his nose up. "It's musk. It's not going to smell like your strawberry strudel," I whispered. Jacob just rolled his eyes before we hid behind the fence.

I looked back at Newt to see him crouched down. He made this weird noise and I bit my lip to hold my laughter. He started making to oink before bringing his right foot forward and stomped it. Then, he swerved it a bit back when the creature turned around. I covered my mouth with my hand to hide my laughter when Newt turned around and started shaking his bum. I could see the bumps on the Erumpent's horn pulsing.

Newt kept snorting while he moved around. I can't believe this is working. A small chuckle escaped me when he rolled on the ground, the Erumpent following his movement. She started moving her feet as she let out this little whimper. If the situation was different I would have found this quite adorable.

"Good girl," Newt mumbled. "Come on, into the case."

I heard something thump and I scrunched my nose up. I looked to see Jacob with the vile in his hand with some of the steam from the musk coming off him. I turned to see a seal behind us. Then I heard a little noise and looked back to see the Erumpent standing up. Oh, no.

"Jacob, I hope you got your running shoes on," I said.

"Why?" He asked, but he knew the answer.

The Erumpent started running towards us. Jacob and I turned around. "Go. Go. Go!"

We started running while Jacob screamed. My feet started to slip as we ran across the icy water. We jumped over the rock while I heard the ice breaking. We climbed up it as the creature got closer. We jumped off and started running again.

We went towards the field. Jacob tried to go straight, but I pulled him to our right. "This is why you don't smell things from strange vials!" I panted. I found a tree a few feet away. I pulled him along before clasping my hands together. "Come on! Up, up, up."

Jacob placed his foot on my hand before I push him up. He grabbed the branch before he started climbing while I did the same. Somehow he ended upside down while we were both hugging the huge branch. The Erumpent stopped below us and rolled on her back. She started to whimper again as she kicked her legs.

"Newt!" We called out. We got no way out of here and he's the only one with the wand.

The Erumpent got on her feet again and took a few paces back. She ran a little bit before she jammed her horn into the tree bark. My eyes widen when I saw part of it beginning to burn. Man, I feel sorry for whoever she ends up mating with.

I held on tighter as the trunk burst. I started to scream as the tree started to fall. My body shook when we reached the ground. Jacob rolled down the hill while I got off of the branch. I ran over to him and picked him up. When we reached the iced lake, our movements became more slippery.

I jumped when I felt the ground shook. I tried to move my way around the ice, but I ended up losing my balance. I placed my hands out in order for me to stop. That didn't happen because I felt the ground cracking before I was plummeted into the water. My body felt nothing but coldness.

I thrashed around until my hands hit the top of the water. "Jacob." I called out. I sank again until I swam back up. "Jacob!" I went down again. I reached to the surface. "Newt!"

I didn't have enough time to take a breath before my whole body went back in. I started thrashing around. I couldn't open my mouth. My chest started pounding violently as my lungs started to burn. They were begging for air.

I felt something grab my arms before I was being pulled. I gasped, which was a bad idea because it let all the cold air in. I started to cough. My body shook as the cold air hits me. I felt something being placed over my back and I held the coat tight around me.

"You ok, Alina?" Jacob asked with a worried expression.

My body shook again. "Yeah," I shivered. I looked at the boys. "Thank you."

"You gave us quite the scare there," Newt said.

"I'm sorry." I looked around. "The Erumpent?"

Newt patted his suitcase. "Safe." I finally got a good look and see he didn't have his coat on. I looked down to see myself clutching his coat tightly. He cleared his throat. "Come on, we must get you someplace warm."

Jacob helped me up. He wrapped his arm around me while we followed Newt under the bridge. "Don't scare me like that, again," Jacob said.

I nodded. "I'll try not to."

Newt placed his case down. "Two down, one to go." He opened it. "In you hop." Jacob let's go and went in. "After you, Miss Nikolai."

"Alina. You can call me Alina."

Newt gave me a soft smile. "Well, Alina, we wouldn't want you to get frost bite, now, do we?"

I let out a chuckle. "I guess not."

I climb in the case before I watched my step. I think I finally got this 'case' thing worked out. Jacob helped me to the ground. Newt followed in closely. He was half way in when the case suddenly slammed shut.

"What was that?" Jacob asked.

Newt climbed to the top of the steps and tried to open his case. He pushed it, but it wouldn't open. He gave us nervous looks. "We're locked in."