Chapter 15: Of Fortunes and Flashbacks

"You're going to get us killed."

"Lighten up and live a little Cupcake. What's the point of living without taking a few risks and letting go?"

"Letting go? Have you not seen Frozen? Have you not seen where 'letting go' got her? She put an entire kingdom through a ravenous winter!"

"Point taken, but it's not like we have ice powers, I have fire instead."

"Oh, that is so reassuring."

Next time Johnathan Lowell Spencer Storm throws me a puppy faced curveball, remind me to give Chase a call and get him to kick him all the way to Mars. Don't get me wrong, Conquest is all for adrenalin pumping activities – I'm a Horseman for Pete's sake – but Estelle Aveline?

The adventures she enjoys are usually of the literary nature.

The moment the Jet Ski's engine begins to rumble and purr like a lion, my iron grip around Johnny's mid-section tightens immeasurably, my face quite well buried into his shoulder. I feel his body tremble in attempts to quell his chuckles, and I can instantly tell the cocky bastard is having the time of his life.

Of course he's having the time of his life dumbass; you're clinging to him like he's your lifeline. He's rather enjoying the feeling of you pressed up against hi—

You know, if you don't go away any time soon, I think I just might shoot a bullet through my own brain just to rid myself of you.

The urge to purposefully drown us in the harbor just to hurt you is almost overwhelming.

When you – me – whoever you are – starts talking to me like that, it begins to worry me.

Good.... 'cause I'm dead serious.

My other half seems to be a pessimist, how reassuring.

I also love to make fun of you, it's my favourite hobby.

You're technically making fun of yourself you know.

Na, because if I was in control instead of you, I would have hopped on both Wade and Johnny by now—

You're sick.

Nup again, just your better half.

"You're doing great Cupcake!"

His nearly muted voice alerts me back to my surroundings, and I have to repress a squeal when I realize we're already reaching full velocity as Johnny steers the Jet Ski around New York Harbour. The cool water of the Hudson River spits at me as it diverges for the Jet Ski, the icy liquid spraying like a hose onto my attire and any revealed skin.

Daring a peek over Johnny's shoulder, the white foam of the ruffled sea water obscures the view of bridge ahead, so I as loudly as I can over the roar of the ski and wind squeak into Johnny's ear. "Why the hell are we doing this in the winter?"

"Cold bothering you sweetheart?" He laughs, casting a fleeting glance at me over his shoulder.

I scowl, squeaking again when we hit a small wave. "Hardly."

I can feel his self-satisfied smirk playing at his lips. "Good, then you won't mind another hour or so out here."

I blanch at the thought.

Amusing. My 'other half' as I have begun to call it chuckles inside my head.

Stay as long as you want out here flame brain, it's fun hearing her squeal.