3

Mitch's POV

Two weeks later...

I get through most of the day without being harassed by Carter. Now it's my least favorite part of the day, lunch. I understand most people enjoy lunch, as a way to socialize with your friends. But I don't have friends, so I always sit alone. Sometimes people take my table and I have nowhere to sit. Other times they take my lunch because I'm "too fat to eat".

I walk into lunch and sigh in relief when I see that the asshat hasn't taken it. I sit down and start eating.

I get lost in thought until I hear Carter talking and laughing at me. I then see Scott walk in with one of Carter's friends.

"W-what d-do you want?" The fucking stutter is ruining me.

"No one gave you permission to speak, you're just a fag." Carter says, as if he's frustrated.

"You know, I'm so glad I have people like you to remind me I'm gay. I would've forgotten otherwise." I blurt out without thinking. I see Scott try to hold back a laugh.

Carter gets angry and punches me until I fall to the floor.

"What the hell?" I hear someone yell.

"This nerd had the nerve to talk back to me. So I decided to teach him a lesson." He says causally.

I look over and see Scott coming towards me. I try to back up into the corner.

"P-please d-don't hurt m-me." I cry.

"Shh, it's alright. I won't hurt you. C'mon it's ok." He gives me his jacket, helps me up, and takes me to the nurses office.

"Mitch you don't have any serious injuries other than a sprained wrist, but you should go home and rest. Is there anyone we can call to pick you up?"

"N-no. My parents aren't home." I reply.

"I can take you home, if you want." Scott suggests.

The nurse says it's fine and we get into Scott's car. I bring my knees to my chest in the passenger seat.
"Why?" I ask.

"Why, what?"

"Why did you save me? You could have just let him beat me up and you'd still have friends. I'm just an ugly, fat, faggot who don't deserve to have friends."

"Is that what he told you?" I nod.

When finally get to my house, I ask Scott if he wants to come in, he said yes. We went inside and up to my room.

"Do you really believe what he said to you?" Scott asks

"Well, I didn't at first. I thought he was just a rude person and that it would go away. Then last year, when I came out, he started insulting me more. With more insults, came more beatings. And once you hear something enough times, you start to think it's true. I was always thankful for Kirstie by my side, but she moved away. I've been all alone ever since."

"Mitch, I'm so sorry. What about your parents? Where are they?"

"My parents are never around. They're two of the best surgeons, and they travel a lot. When they're not traveling, they're either sleeping or at the hospital."

I just told Scott like everything about me. What if this is a trick? Does he actually care or is he going to tell Carter so he can use it against me?

Scott seems to notice me getting lost in thought and quickly brings me out of it.

"You said when you came out. You're gay?"

"Yeah, I thought you would've heard by now. No one else is openly gay in school. Even if someone was, they probably wouldn't want to be with me." I look down at my lap.

"What if I do?" My head snaps up to look at him,

"What if you do what?"

"What if I want to be with you?" Scott asks quietly.

"Wait, what?" I'm not freaking out, you're freaking out.

"Mitch, will...um... will you go out with me?"

"Yes! Uh- I mean- yeah, sure that'd be great." My cheeks turn pink from embarrassment and he smiles at me.

"You're cute." I hide my face in my hands as I blush even more. He chuckles and pulls me into his side as we turn on the TV and watch Spongebob.

***