17

That day after school, Mitch gets a call telling him news that he had been dreading for the past week and a half.

"Tomorrow? What time?" Scott asks once Mitch hangs up.

"8:00 in the morning. What do I wear?"

"I don't know, something nice since it's court." Mitch nods and they both pick out suits to wear the next day.

They watch movies and curl up together on the couch for the rest of the day until they decide to go to bed around 10:00.

--

The next morning, they get to the courthouse at 7:45 to meet with Mitch's lawyer. Once they finish that, it's time the trial to start. Carter speaks first, Mitch holding Scott's hand tightly as he does.

"Carter Williams, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" An officer asks, making Carter raise his right hand.

"I do." They sit down and Carter's lawyer approaches the stand.

"Hello, Carter. Are you ready to begin?"

"Yes, of course."

"Why did you have to stay after school on April 15th?"

"I got detention for not doing my Spanish homework a few times."

"What time did detention let out?"

"3:30."

"After you left, you went to the bathroom, correct?"

"Yes. I was there when Mitch came in."

"You and Mitch have known each other for a while, would you say you're friends?"

"In so many words, yes."

"Carter, did you rape Mitch?"

"I would never. I've liked Mitch for about a year and I'm sure he's felt the same way. When we were in the bathroom, he told me that he had never had sex before. I told him that it was going to be a lot more special then, and he didn't deny it."

"Why do you think you're being accused of this?"

"I guess maybe he regretted it afterwards and didn't want to break his boyfriend's heart by cheating on him. Crying rape was the only way he could stay in a relationship and not feel guilty."

"Nothing further." She sits down and Mitch's lawyer approaches the stand.

"You did not rape Mitch?"

"Of course not."

"Then explain to me why the tests came back with your DNA for the rape kit."

"I told you, we did in fact have sex."

"And the bruising he had afterwards, he wanted that?"

"Yes he did."

"At any point, did he say 'No' or 'Stop'?"

"Yes, but I could tell he wanted it. He just likes playing hard to get."

"He wanted it? Is that why you had to bound his wrists to the sink, so tight that it left marks and bruises?"

"Oh, please. He loved it and I'm sure he'd love to do it again." He makes eye contact with Mitch and smirks, causing the brunette to shake his head and look down.

"This what my client came into the hospital with." She shows pictures of Mitch with a bruised cheek, a cut lip, red marks spread out everywhere and his skin bruised and almost raw on his wrists. "Nothing further, Your Honor."