Chapter 3

Mr. Porter submitted his letter of resignation today. I wonder why.

It unsettles me that he knows our secret. I wonder if he feels sorry. I do. But "I don't belong on the tapes" according to Hannah. I still feel like I do though.

"Clay."

I looked around. Everyone left the classroom already.

"Clay." Skye was snapping her fingers sarcastically. "Thank me later." And she walked out of the room. I've been blanking out a lot.

Tony walked right pass me as I walked out of the class. So I called his name after a second of debating.

"Hey Clay."

"Hey, Tony, I was-uh- wondering if I could tal-"

"I thought you were 'fine' Clay?" He was expressionless.

"I lied. I'm aggressively un-fine."

"Why didn't you just say so? We can take a drive later. And talk."

I was thinking about right now.

"Yea that's fine. I'll meet you after school."

"Take care, Clay." He smiled. And I forced one back.

~*~*~*~

I walked out of school searching for Tony's fire engine red mustang but it was nowhere to be found.

I took my phone out and called him.

"Hey-"

"Tony I'm just go-"

"-This is Tony, leave a message if it's important after the beep."

BEEP.

"Tony. I. Uh. I'm going to my house so you can just pick me up there. Or whenever. Just call if you need to cancel or something. Bye, see you later." I was slightly heartbroken he didn't pick up his phone but I decided he would only do that if it was important.

I started to walk home, but then Jeff pulled up beside the curb.

"Jensen, need a ride?"

"Sure." I awkwardly got in his car. We drove in mostly silence. Only giving him directions to my house, he had never been there even though we were "friends," I guess.

"Um, right here." I said pointing to my house. He pulled over to the curb, the tires audibly crunching the loose asphalt.

"Thanks Jeff, still on for tutoring tomorrow?"

"Of course! I need to pass to play Clay."I closed the door and he took off.

I looked one last moment, to see if Tony was anywhere to be found, and when he wasn't I walked inside.

"Hey honey." My mom gave me a hug and smile."how was school?"

"Good, I guess." Lie.

"That's good dear." 

As I was eating, I hoped I would hear the engine of his car pull up so he could eat with us. But alas, that sound never came. We ate spaghetti in silence. My parents making small talk.