Chapter 4

CLAP. CLAP. CLAP.

"Come on Clay get up its already ten in the morning." My mom opened the door and clapped her hands. A groan escaped my lips. TEN? oh yea it's Saturday. Thank god. I rested my head back on my pillow.

"Tony-" I patted the bed next to me. He was gone. I sighed. I really wish he was still here, next to me.

Did I like him? Is that what I felt? Could I even date this soon after Hannah?

I got up and pulled down my shirt that was almost off me because of my reckless sleeping. That was the best sleep I have had in days.

I walked to my door and saw a small sticky note. I grabbed it and read it.

Sorry I couldn't stay Clay. I had to go home and change before my date with Brad today. I hope you understand and if you ever need to talk again I'm here. I don't want to let another friend down.

- Tony

He has a boyfriend? Of course he does. I mean, look at him.

What am I talking about? I don't even know if these feelings are real. No they aren't. I'm just being silly. I'll see. I know. This will never work out. He is already in a steady relationship. Anyway who would want me?

"Hey honey, I need to talk to you about something." My mom said as I sat down for breakfast. "As you know, Hannah's parents are suing the school. But, my work wants me to defend the school. So I need to ask. Did you ever see any bullying happen to Hannah Baker or to anyone else?"

Yes, including me, mom.

"No, I never really paid attention to Hannah's social interaction, only mine." I replied instead. My parents would just be worried if I told them the truth. One day, they deserve to know. Just not right now.

"Ok," she started. "Do you have any problem with me taking this case? Because if you have the slightest problem I will drop it and go to another. It's fine Clay you can tell me." She put her hands on top of mine.

"No mom, it's fine. Take the case." I lied. "Well I should get going to Monet's, I have to tutor Jeff today."

"Ok honey, you don't want breakfast first?"

"Nah, I should get going, I don't want him to be waiting for me."

"He's a nice boy Clay." Was all she said.

What the hell did she mean by that? Does she think he's.... no he can't be. She's only met him once. And besides. He's a jock. Can jocks be gay without being ridiculed, like me? Or are they "immune" to that too. And I didn't even realize I liked boys till now!

~*~*~*~
I passed the Crestmont on my bike on the way to Monet's. The last place I saw Hannah when she turned in her clothes.

I made my way into Monet's, the bell ringing as I opened the door.

I ordered a hot chocolate at Monet's. Skye was the cashier again, and like usual, she told me I didn't have to pay. I tipped her anyway when she gave me the order. She sat down across from me in the booth.

"Hot date?" She said and smirked, raising her left eyebrow.

"Not a date, I'm tutoring Jeff." I scoffed.