Chapter 4:

*That Night*

My eyes snapped open at the sound of a loud crash; it seemed like it had come from downstairs in the shop.

My eyes squinted in the dark bedroom as i looked towards the clock on my bedside table.

4:00am.

My eyebrows furrowed as to what could be making such a racket this early in the morning.

Throwing on one of my silk nighties and grabbing the hand gun i kept hidden under the pillow i slept next too, i made my way downstairs into the shop.

I unlocked the door leading from my apartment stairs into the store, only to see shattered piece of glass and plastic all over the floor.

'What the fuck..' i mumbled, trying to make sense of the scene in-front of me.

The windows at the front of the shop had been completely smashed in, the cold night wind making my bare legs shiver.

As i stepped closer to the mess i noticed a couple of bricks among the bits of broken glass and wood; that's what must have been used to cause the damage.

Just as i was about to grab the broom and begin the task of cleaning up the god awful mess infront of me, a dark figure jumped through the now open window and grabbed me by the neck making me drop my gun.

The figure pinned me up against the wall and held me tightly in his grip. They wore a balaclava and dressed from head to toe in black so i had no indication of telling who it was.

The stranger chuckled and held up a brick with his free hand.

'By order of the Peaky Blinders. You've been warned'

And with that the man released the hold he had on me and jumped back through the window he came from.

I grabbed my neck, trying to regain the lost breath the brief strangulation has caused me to loose.

If only i hadn't of dropped my gun.. that son of bitch wouldn't have laid a hand on me if he knew what was good for him.

The voice of the stranger didn't belong to any of the Peaky Blinders, so they must have hired someone to intimidate me - how cowardly.

I sighed, my eyes falling upon the shards of broken glass scattered across the floor. This shit was gonna take forever to clean up, not to mention i had to hire and pay someone to fix the windows and damage caused by those fucking Shelbys.

It was then an idea popped into my head as a smirk spread across my lips.

The mess would have to wait until the morning.

Jones' Betting Business was going to get her own back.

*The Next Day*

The atmosphere in Birmingham the next morning was a lot less on edge and uneasy than it had been the day before. After finding out the Peaky Blinders had forced Small Heath to socially exile me, Pol made sure that it stopped immediately.

Soon enough people were smiling at me in the street and greeting me with friendly hello's again.

Zelda was more than relieved at the return to normality; she had spent most of yesterday locked up in the shop out of fear of people treating her the same as they had treated me, so today she was a lot less anxious and jittery.

I yawned, sweeping up the damage left from last night.

Zelda came down into the shop, her eyes widening at the gaping hole where the windows used to be.