Chapter 7:

I groaned turning over, sleepily opening my eyes to the pitch black room. Rubbing them softly, i checked the time on my watch.

5:45am

This was way to early for me to be up.

I sighed and slowly got out of bed, deciding to go downstairs and get myself a glass of water to try and drift my mind back to sleep.

I quietly tip-toed my way down the stairs, being careful not to wake anybody up with my late night kitchen run.

Stretching my stiff limbs, trying to stifle a much needed yawn, i walked into the kitchen and over to the sink. I grabbed a glass off the shelf and filled it 3/4's of the way full.

'Trouble sleeping?'

The sudden sound of someone's voice in the dimly lit room made my body jump a mile. I grabbed my heart trying to steady my breathing as my eyes landed on where the voice had come from:

Tommy.

He was sat at the kitchen table, his head in his hands, dressed in a cotton t-shirt and bottoms. His hair was rugged and his eyes looked tired, i couldn't help but notice how attractive he looked, however the other part of me thrived on the fact that we was obviously having trouble sleeping too, and rightfully so after all the shit and hurt he had caused.

He looked up slightly concerned.

'I didn't mean to scare you'

Oh the irony.

I shook my head sipping the glass of water. 'You didn't'

The room fell silent, filled with the things we wanted to say to each-other, but didn't know how to.

I bit my lip nervously. 'Why are you up?'

He sighed running a hand through his messy hair. 'Bad dreams'

My lips twisted, a familiar smell hitting my nostrils. I slowly sat down opposite him at the table, placing my glass of water down on the surface.

'Have you been using opium?' I inquired, knowing the answer before it even left his lips.

He looked up at me, an expression of guilt and curiousness clouding his eyes. 'How did you know?'

'I'd know the smell a mile off' I noted, taking a sip from my glass.

He rubbed his eyes trying to justify the use of the drug. 'It helps me sleep'

'Obviously not very well' i countered, causing a little smile to etch at the edge of his mouth. It was the softest expression I'd seen him make since the first day i'd met him. Blame it on the lack of sleep or the dimly lit room, or the fact we were talking about something other than our bloody businesses for once, but i liked the way he looked.

'Is it dreams about France?' I questioned.

He nodded with his jaw clenching, his eyes avoiding mine.

'My brother had the same problem, would wake up every night either shouting or crying due to how bad the dreams got' Tommy nodded as i continued. 'He used opium like you, but he grew attached very quickly, so much so that he could barely function without the stuff '

He sighed knowing i was right. 'It's the only thing that helps me sleep'

I nodded getting up from my seat and making my way over to one of the kitchen's bottom cupboards. I pulled out a little saucepan along with a carton of milk and some cinnamon. Switching on the hob i poured the contents of the milk inside it and sprinkled a little bit on cinnamon over the top.