⇻27⇺

We pulled up to the white, two story house. Navy shuddered aligned the windows. Just as they had less than a week ago. It had a warm homely feel as you walked along the front garden path, lined with all sorts of colored flowers. I reached down cupping a flower in my hands, letting it slip gently through my finger tips admiring the soft pink it conveyed.

"Hey, you coming?" Phil called from the door step. I meekly nodded, following him inside the house.

Walking in was like walking into a gallery. I now saw what I had missed when rushing out. The house looked beautifully immaculate, yet empty. Phil slipped off his shoes and slowly walked around the corner. I shook my head to release myself from the trance I'd fallen into again, and followed behind .

"Do you want anything to drink?" Phil asked politely. I shook my head softly, Phil gave me a nod and showed me the way upstairs, to what I assumed was his room. I paused to look at the pictures littering the walls at the top of the stairs. It was Phil's family, they looked happy just being around one another, 'I'll never have that again.' I thought. My eyes trailed to the the little note that accompanied the picture. 'Family is a gift that lasts forever.' I choked out a muffled sob and beelined back down the stairs.