thirty three

THE ROAD LEADING TO HIGHGARDEN WAS FILLED WITH MEN AND CARRIAGES. LANppNISTER SOLDIERS WERE MARCHING BACK TO KING'S LANDING AFTER SACKING THE CASTLE.

"Halt the wagon!" Jaime yelled out to a passing wagon.

Jaime opened the carriage; it was filled with gold bars and coins. He picked up a large sack and threw it over to Bronn.

"You just won the biggest prize in the world." Bronn told him as he looked into the sack of gold. "What could you possibly have to be upset about? Come on, you can tell me. Queen of Thorns give you one last prick in the balls before saying goodbye?"

"I'll save my confessions for the High Septon." Jaime replied to him.

"There is no more High Septon." Bronn pointed out to Jaime.

"No, there isn't, is there?" Jaime laughed.

"There is still the question of my prize." Bronn reminded him.

Jaime was putting a padlock on the wagon bearing the gold. He stopped and turned to look at Bronn. "That's a lot of money I just gave you."

"It's not a castle." Bronn turned and pointed towards Highgarden. "How about that one? It's available."

"You don't want Highgarden." Jaime shook his head.

"I beg to differ."

"We're at war." Jaime furrowed his brows. "Daenerys Targaryen could come and take it back the day after you move in." Jaime laughed. "Besides, think of the upkeep. The more you own, the more it weighs you down."

"Oh, is that why you're so fucking glum, eh?" Bronn pushed Jaime on the shoulders. "All your new riches weighing you down?"

Jaime pounded on the back of the carriage and the horses started to trott. "They're not mine. The gold belongs to the Iron Bank. We pay our debts."

"Right." Bronn nodded. "Just not to me."

"Bronn of the Blackwater, formerly of whatever nameless shit heap you're from with a saddlebag full of gold complaining about not getting paid." Jaime looked at Bronn and laughed again. "When we win this war all the castles in the Seven Kingdoms will be yours to choose from with no one left to take them away from you."

"Yes, I'm sure Queen Cersei's reign will be quiet and peaceful."

~~~