onë ; gone

"I don't want this child!" My mother screams as she pushes me towards my dad and I fall onto my hands and knees.

"That doesn't mean you have to push her around!" My father yells as he helps me up.

"I'm leaving, I can't deal with you or her anymore." She says pointing at me, I hold my father tightly as she yells, tears fall out of my eyes and slowly wet his shirt.

She stomps out of the door and that's the last time I've ever seen my mother.  After a while we got kicked out of our apartment because she didn't want us there anymore and took it over herself when my father was the one paying for everything the whole time.

"Mijin, I want you to sit right here, I will be back soon I promise, I just have to go grab some food." I nod and sit on the side of a building in an alleyway.

He quickly runs away and I hear a loud bang.  I jump and look around. 

"Dad?" I ask.

"Dad?!" I yell louder.

I wait in that same spot for what feels like forever.  Soon a few hours pass by and he's still not back.

"He said he promised, he said he promised." I whisper to myself, I cry alone in the dark cold alleyway waiting for my father to come back.  He never did.

"Mimi." I hear a small voice and look down to a seven year old pulling on my shirt.

"Oh.. yeah?" I quickly wipe my tears away and smile bending down to her height.

"Can you read?" She hold out her favorite book and I smile wider.

"Of course Seunghee." Seunghee is only seven, we became very close since I've come here, I feel like her mother figure.  But that's okay, I want to be the mother that I never had.

I read her the book and she falls asleep in my arms, I slowly let her head down on the pillow and walk out of the room.

I hear the door across from me open and see Nanhee coming out of the toddler room.

"Ready?" I ask and she looks up at me.

"Yes, ma'am." She laughs and we put on our shoes by the door and walk out.

We don't have a phone, nor any money. We live in a orphanage. A very poor orphanage in a very bad neighborhood.

Before Nanhee and I got here, the orphanage was totally out of place. I was 15 when I first came here and ever since I've taken care of all the children with my best friend Nanhee, she came when she was 12, were the oldest but there are some others close to our age.

We barely get by, but with the other teens here having jobs and Nanhee and I staying at the house the whole time it works out okay.

"Where is the party?" Nana asks.

"Well, Jinjee said the party is on Lake Street." I respond.

"Lake street? That's a very terrible street. A lot of gang violence." She says aloud.

"Yeah, but everywhere around here has a lot of gang violence." I say.

She nods in agreement then see a couple of kids beating on another younger one.

We run up to them and pull them off of the younger boy.